Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my brief cruise into work this AM, I saw the following...
- guy pedaling a cruiser/townie with a Maverick DUC fork on it
- four cars parked in a row in front of a coffee shop all loaded up with like 8 Mavericks (ok, it was probably the Mav gang but still, not a common to see about $40k worth of bikes on 4 cars in a row)
- a Subi Outback with a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker

Boulder is classic for just odd spottings. I wish I kept a list of all the funny stuff I've seen because I tell my wife and then promptly forget. A buddy of mine likes to play "guess if he's homeless or a millionaire" while driving through town. Anyway, what crazy things have people seen in the People's Republic? (Kinetics doesn't count.)

I've contributed two odd sites...
1) weed whacking and using my clear lens Rudy Projects as eye protection
2) hauling my kids around on my singlespeed with a tag-along and the double Burley hooked up behind that (although someone has me beat with a tandem pulling a tag-along pulling a Burley!)

S

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I've seen people's heads morph into odd shapes while walking Pearl St Mall.

of course, this was during the mall crawl in the early 90's, and I'd had a rather odd dinner.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
DSR said:
- four cars parked in a row in front of a coffee shop all loaded up with like 8 Mavericks (ok, it was probably the Mav gang but still, not a common to see about $40k worth of bikes on 4 cars in a row)

S
Not odd at all in Boulder actually. That is the Maveric Gang and lemme guess, it was Vic's coffee shop.

I had that occurance on the Ned bus before and there were half a dozen Mavericks in the cargo hold.

s1ngletrack said:
I've seen people's heads morph into odd shapes while walking Pearl St Mall.

of course, this was during the mall crawl in the early 90's, and I'd had a rather odd dinner.
You're not suppose to swallow the stamps...ok, so maybe you are!

·
I do small drops.
215 Posts
So I don't really want to turn this into an argument post, but I would just like to ask one, pretty much rhetorical, question.

When did a car brand such as Subaru become synonymous with Bush haters? Can a person truly no longer enjoy a car for a quality ride and great value? Do we have to base automotive purchases on political views? Sure, environmental is one thing, but political shouldn't matter! And while I understand that they do oftentimes fall hand in hand, I have seen just as many H2's and Escalades with "Kerry Edwards" and "Save a Tree, Burn a Bush!" stickers as I have the same kind of vehicles with Pro-Bush stickers.

Just sayin'...

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
P!ss off a liberal...

bikescars101 said:
So I don't really want to turn this into an argument post, but I would just like to ask one, pretty much rhetorical, question.

When did a car brand such as Subaru become synonymous with Bush haters? Can a person truly no longer enjoy a car for a quality ride and great value? Do we have to base automotive purchases on political views? Sure, environmental is one thing, but political shouldn't matter! And while I understand that they do oftentimes fall hand in hand, I have seen just as many H2's and Escalades with "Kerry Edwards" and "Save a Tree, Burn a Bush!" stickers as I have the same kind of vehicles with Pro-Bush stickers.

Just sayin'...
Make money, be happy!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
bikescars101 said:

Just sayin'...
If it helps any, the SO and I have both owned Subs - and think both Bush and Kerry are f*ckwits. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have been working on a project

that involves me keeping a log of every type of car that buzzes me while riding my bike on the road. I think most of us can agree that a buzz qualifies as those cars that seem to try to get as close to you as they can, even though they have tons of room to give you a decent "share the road" space, and they even hammer the gas right as they go by to really show you how fast they are. Maybe even throw in a little scoot all the way over to the shoulder to kind of cut in front as they go by as well. Take that bike! I do not log a vehicle that is forced to be a little close due to oncoming traffic and road conditions. Here is my current data for 01/01/05-Today.

15 - Ford Explorer, 8 with Bush stickers
6 - Ford Expedition, 4 with Bush stickers
2 - Honda Civic, 1 with Alien Workshop sticker
4 - Toyota 4 Runner, 1 WP sticker
5 - Volvo wagons/sedans yr 2000 or better, 1 with VAIL sticker
2 - Lexus Sedan, 1 with one of thos G golden stickers.
1 - Chevy 2500 seris pickup, Union Yes sticker

I do not feel like I have enough of a sample yet, but I cannot help but draw some simple generalizations based upon this early data.

• A lot of crap sandwhich stickers,the President hates bikes.

• A lot of Ford drivers don't like bikes either. This is very general as I myself own a ford truck, but I do like bikes.

• I have never been buzzed by a Subaru, so those owners must like bikes. I own a Subaru too.

• I have never been buzzed by a car with a douche bag sticker. He must like bikes.

Oh and back to the original topic, I saw some Boulder roadie pulling a BOB trailer with a pile of weights in the back last night. I have a BOB too but I use it to pull cases of beer.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
You're new to Boulder, eh?

bikescars101 said:

Just sayin'...
Sounds like you don't drive a Subie. Or you do, and support Bush. You know, you're risking arrest by Boulder's finest either way. There are some things that are completely unacceptable in Boulder, and subject you to arrest and a stay in the county pound you in the a$$ prison:

-not owning a Subaru
-not owning either a Patagucci or North Face fleece
-thinking a bad thought about a prairie dog

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
mateomtb said:
that involves me keeping a log of every type of car that buzzes me while riding my bike on the road. I think most of us can agree that a buzz qualifies as those cars that seem to try to get as close to you as they can, even though they have tons of room to give you a decent "share the road" space, and they even hammer the gas right as they go by to really show you how fast they are. Maybe even throw in a little scoot all the way over to the shoulder to kind of cut in front as they go by as well. Take that bike! I do not log a vehicle that is forced to be a little close due to oncoming traffic and road conditions. Here is my current data for 01/01/05-Today.

15 - Ford Explorer, 8 with Bush stickers
6 - Ford Expedition, 4 with Bush stickers
2 - Honda Civic, 1 with Alien Workshop sticker
4 - Toyota 4 Runner, 1 WP sticker
5 - Volvo wagons/sedans yr 2000 or better, 1 with VAIL sticker
2 - Lexus Sedan, 1 with one of thos G golden stickers.
1 - Chevy 2500 seris pickup, Union Yes sticker

I do not feel like I have enough of a sample yet, but I cannot help but draw some simple generalizations based upon this early data.

• A lot of crap sandwhich stickers,the President hates bikes.

• A lot of Ford drivers don't like bikes either. This is very general as I myself own a ford truck, but I do like bikes.

• I have never been buzzed by a Subaru, so those owners must like bikes. I own a Subaru too.

• I have never been buzzed by a car with a douche bag sticker. He must like bikes.

Oh and back to the original topic, I saw some Boulder roadie pulling a BOB trailer with a pile of weights in the back last night. I have a BOB too but I use it to pull cases of beer.
I had a very special individual in a Ford F350 pass oncoming traffic (he got into my lane) doing about 70 - coming down the long straight portion of the ride from Morrison to Evergreen the other morning, nothing quite as exciting as the prospect of a head - on with an F350 first thing in the morning. I even waved kindly at him as he passed, trying to get the nice gentleman's attention so he would pull over and let me kick his motherf*cking teeth into the back of his skull, with no luck. I love how tons of glass and steel afford even the most spineless of us the opportunity to be tough guys. :rolleyes:

I might have to start keeping track of cars encountered on my commute too.
I think Mr. Bush is actually a mountainbiker - not that it counts for anything.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
MINImtnbiker said:
There are some things that are completely unacceptable in Boulder, and subject you to arrest and a stay in the county pound you in the a$$ prison:

-thinking a bad thought about a prairie dog
:eek:

What if the prairie dog in question was witnessed oppressing his / her fellow prairie dog, and said "bad thoughts" inflicted, in no way, physical or psychological damage on the aggressor prairie dog?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in boulder and like it, but I hate prarie dogs and drive a guzzling 13mpg 89 toyota. Besides, most of the suby drivers in Boulder are just yuppie **** transplants, poseurs of the worst sort. Where's my north face?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
... said:
Besides, most of the suby drivers in Boulder are just yuppie **** transplants, poseurs of the worst sort. Where's my north face?
I just took off my NF fleece after getting out of my Impreza, do I give a sh!t what others think, no.

" I love how tons of glass and steel afford even the most spineless of us the opportunity to be tough guys."

Word. I'm a small guy but I'll be GD'd if I'm not giving some fcktwit the finga in an attempt to get them out of their as5hole carrier. Pull over tough guy, we'll see what happens....

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
We're all Boulder-ific!

I love this place! The passive-aggressive bleeding heart Kerry-stickered suburban wannabees. The people that know better than anyone else and close land to access. The never-done-anything-in-the-real-world county commissioners.

Hey but it's pretty. (The girls used to be too before the people in the community got so old.)

Yep. I'm bitter. As a many-generation Coloradan, I can only think this town has been overrun by wealthy coastal refugees. (I'm here now, don't let anyone else in!)

But really, I love this place. I hope they'll let my kids past the prarie dog gates...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.