Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i installed some new Mavic Crossrides on my bike and they are making some strange noises. When i riding if i push down or put any additional pressure on them it kind of sounds like the spokes are pinging, does it when turning hard as well. Is this normal? do they do this for a bit while breaking in? It's tripping me out! I am pretty sure it is the rims and not the disc brakes. Any ideas?

·
EDR
10,708 Posts
I'm no wheel builder but this is what I have learned from having several wheels built by experienced people....

Spokes settle after a new build. The builder should have let the wheels sit for a day after they were built up and then re-tensioned all the spokes. The 'pinging' you hear is tension being relieved. This is normal but they should be checked for proper tension now. Again, this really should have been done before they were given to you.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Does it seem to be the rear wheel?

My new wheels did this until I removed that plastic disc that's between the cassette and the spokes on the driveline side. It's there to protect the spokes in case the chain goes off the largest sprocket, which has never happened to me in 25+ years of riding. Good riddance!

jeff

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I am a wheelbuilder (edit - "builder of wheels" is a more correct term to describe me) and know that this is only normal for wheels that were never built correctly in the first place - I agree with you that the stresses and windup should have been relieved in the workshop.

I doubt that this is the OP's problem in this instance though. The first thing I would do is to pass a WD40 soaked piece of rag between all the final spoke crosses to see if this helps.

·
EDR
10,708 Posts
Listen to Mike T. He is indeed a 'builder of wheels' and knows what he is talking about.

If these were a custom build maybe you can take them back and ask them to help you out. If they were a pre-built set then there likely is no way to actually talk to the builder. Just ride them for a bit then have the lbs check/adjust tension if you feel the need.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Listen to Mike T. He is indeed a 'builder of wheels' and knows what he is talking about.
Thanks!! I'll send you that $10 bribe I promised via PayPal :D

If these were a custom build maybe you can take them back and ask them to help you out. If they were a pre-built set then there likely is no way to actually talk to the builder. Just ride them for a bit then have the lbs check/adjust tension if you feel the need.
They're factory Mavic wheels and I'd be surprised if they were left to ping on the first ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.