Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my Reign 2 for a couple months now and have had no problems. But, sometimes on descents I hear what can best be described as a loud snapping sound, however the bike performs great and I'm not bottoming out either. I've been riding bikes for years and this isn't chain slap, or if it is, it's the wierdest chain slap I've ever heard and I'm using the same chainstay protector I've always used on my mtb's. I haven't found any problem inspecting the bike after my rides either.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks;
SteveO

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Wierd noise

I had a weird clicking noise going downhill. I turned out to be excess wire on my Fwd. Shifter sticking out the bottom through the suspension linkage.I covered it in duct tape and all gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose the sound I am hearing could be a click too. It's fairly loud and noticeable while riding even with all the other usual sounds. Was the clicking noise pretty loud on your bike before you taped that wire?

Also, are you talking about the tail of the wire past the point where it's bolted to the front derrailleur? Or something before that point?

Thanks;
SteveO

telemarc said:
I had a weird clicking noise going downhill. I turned out to be excess wire on my Fwd. Shifter sticking out the bottom through the suspension linkage.I covered it in duct tape and all gone.

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Uh, not really Reign related...

HTFW said:
I've been riding my Reign 2 for a couple months now and have had no problems. But, sometimes on descents I hear what can best be described as a loud snapping sound, however the bike performs great and I'm not bottoming out either. I've been riding bikes for years and this isn't chain slap, or if it is, it's the wierdest chain slap I've ever heard and I'm using the same chainstay protector I've always used on my mtb's. I haven't found any problem inspecting the bike after my rides either.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks;
SteveO
...but I've had this type of sound coming from my VT1 for a few months now. It sounds like the frame is cracking apart or the bearings are snapping apart. Bike still rides smooth except when for the noise that gets activated when riding over terrain.Very annoying, my buds that I ride with get freaked out too because it is really loud. The LBS I bought it from (Performance) don't have a clue, I call Giant and they say its a common problem for VTs but wouldn't tell me a fix for it. And if it is the bearings I need to buy a set plus a bearing tool to install and extract the f-ers. So it could be a lot of money to fix or just some money. But I'm back on my hardtails because the sound is just too damn annoying to ride on the VT anymore. I have had three Giant bikes and the only one that still rides great with no noise after three years is my Rainier (and the EXR fork rules). I thought their customer service was great but now am having doubts.

·
Registered
419 Posts
vt creaking noise fixed !

I too had an awful creaking noise coming from my vt3. All the same problems, mates feaking etc. It seems pretty simple, but all that I did was pull the seat post out, gave it a good clean, ( there was a heap of dirt up there) and put it back in. Problem solved. no more creaking. Ive now bought a reign 2, awesome bike, no problems as yet. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.