Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know whether it's because i'm older, or eccentric, or just plain weird.

I learned the 'habit' from my dear old dad.

When I was very young, and kids never wore shoes, my dad used to ride his bike to work every day, rain hail or shine. He followed in the traditional footsteps of his dad, who did the same.

One day while I was playing marbles in the dirt, I heard my dad talking to someone around the side of the house, and being an inquisitive little fellow, I walked around the corner to see who was visiting us.

What I saw was my dad sitting on an old box with his bike in front of him, slowly polishing the metal frame with a clean piece of rag..

I looked around to see who he was talking to, but there was no one else there.

I walked silently up behind him and stood listening.

I realised that he was talking to his bike !

This was very strange to me...I felt puzzled and shuffled my bare feet softly in the dirt. My dad heard me there behind him..and stopped talking. He turned around and smiled.

I asked him who was he talking to, and he pointed to the bike.

I guess that is where it all started. My dad was my role-model, like dad's are for most boys. From then on after that day, I figured that if it was ok for my dad to talk to his bike, it was ok for me, too.

So it was a surprise for me to find out later on in life that not every bike owner talks to their bike and that people who don't ride think that you are a looney.

I always talk to my bike.

The other day I was coming back from the trails and riding towards my home along a back street. There is a driveway where I usually get some air, and as usual, I hammered up to it, hit the lip and launched it pretty well, but my jump lacked the usual height, probably because my timing was a little off.

I spoke to the bike, saying that the jump wasn't quite as high as we usually get.

A guy sitting in a car opposite in the narrow little street looked at me strangely. He had heard me taking to the bike.

On another recent ride I was merrily chatting away to my bike ... her name is [ "witchy"] on a tight little trail when I rode slowly past several hikers who were sitting in the bushes eating a snack. I didn't notice them until I was almost past, and I heard one of them say as I rode away..."Who was he talking to?"

All I was saying to her was...."c'mon, lets get some speed up now for this next big hill" or something like that...lol..

My good wife and my kids are used to me talking to my bikes, and think nothing of it...as far as I know.

I often sit and clean her frame after a muddy ride and chat away...saying how nice she will look after she is all cleaned up..

I get some strange looks from people who don't ride.

Do any of you other riders talk to your bike like I do ... or ... does insanity run in my family? :)

R.

·
i don't give a shift
863 Posts
Probably runs in other families too. I don't though. My bike is neither a "she" nor a "he" - it's a thing, a piece of metal and other materials put together through nice craftsmanship. I might talk to the rattlesnake on the trail, but I don't give a bike a name nor talk to it. When I used to sail I had a boat, a sail boat without a name, an "it" made out of lots of polyester.

·