Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts guys/gals? Here's the email I sent off to Dinotte:
It was a bit wet today on my commute, I ran my 400L without problem on the way over. A few hours later I plugged in the light and no blinking, no flash, nothing. It was definitely the 2C battery because the light head worked fine on the spare battery. When I got home the battery still wasn't recognized by the light. I figured maybe it shorted given the moisture and was fried. I plugged the battery into the charger and to my surprise the charger did recognize the battery, quickly went from red to green, and now the battery works fine.

Great my battery works, but did it short and go into a safe mode or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,455 Posts
What it sounds like to me: In a nut shell....the battery momentarily shorted. This might have happened if water got into the plug connection. Typical protection circuit ( PCB ) on the battery cut the power. When you plug the battery back into the charger this will reset the protection circuit. I've done this before to one of my batteries but not with my Dinotte. If I'm right the light ( and battery )should now work as before.
 

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cat-man-do said:
What it sounds like to me: In a nut shell....the battery momentarily shorted. This might have happened if water got into the plug connection. Typical protection circuit ( PCB ) on the battery cut the power. When you plug the battery back into the charger this will reset the protection circuit. I've done this before to one of my batteries but not with my Dinotte. If I'm right the light ( and battery )should now work as before.
That's just what I was thinking, here's Dinottes response (I think they missed the "and now it seems fine part though):

It's tough to say what happened - The rain is probably a coincidence. *The
moisture wouldn't fry the battery (voltage is too low)

Hard to say what causes a battery that's a year and eight months old to have
an issue - batteries are consumable and at some point they stop working

It's unlikely a short - possibly an "open" where the cable may have worn and
the cable might be able to be fixed - but many things can cause a battery to
fail

Being used many times
Being dropped before (and finally failing)
Sitting on the charger all the time.
Letting it go dead
Etc..

I will suggest this - we've upgraded our charger since you purchased your
lights - so if you purchase a new battery, put in the notes "include new
charger at no charge, customer will return old charger with old battery for
inspection." - if battery can be fixed we'll repair it, if it cannot, we'll
recycle it.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top