Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a nice treat to come home to, after a killer early summer weeknight of building and riding!
:)

Now that I've been running flats %100 for a few months, I figured I'd treat myself to some real (i.e. slop-free) pedals.

Having picked up some straitline levers last year, I knew to expect the absolute best. I put all 56 pins in, and everyone went in straight and perfect (yes, even after a ride and 4-5 beers)- looks like all threads were chased and prepped. The bushing system is also very cool- igus bushings similar to Turner's, no grease required. Double "poodle clips" holding them together with aluminum races in between... topped off with quality instructions and extra pins.

I'll thrash them this weekend and report back :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
thumbs up FM, i like theirs and the sunline stuff as well. could they be one and the same? the brand names sure are close...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
thumbs up FM, i like theirs and the sunline stuff as well. could they be one and the same? the brand names sure are close...
well..sunline belongs to the same company as 661

and straitline:

"Straitline Components is a versatile division of Straightline Precision Industries Inc. (SPI), a family owned precision manufacturing firm in Sidney BC, Canada."

....so I guess different :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
The Sunline pedals don't have any concaveness in the pedal itself - just in the pins, while the straitlines seem to have a nice concavity in the pedals according to FM's pics above. I wonder if the lack of body concavity results in less grip or not.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Speaking on Sunline, I took my fork off yesterday to do an oil change, and gave my Sunline headset the once over. After 8 months, the bearings are shot! It's the V-1 with reducer cups, and the bearings are crunchy like a twix bar. Very disappointing. Looks like I'll be getting a King 1.5 now.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
speaking of Sunline...I picked up a new stem for the Spot yesterday, getting ready to install it in a few...
I hope it works better than Chingy's HS....

Not sure if it's kinda 'sexy industrial' or just a bit ugly...we'll see what it looks like on the bike.

*sorry aboot the hijack...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tald said:
The Sunline pedals don't have any concaveness in the pedal itself - just in the pins, while the straitlines seem to have a nice concavity in the pedals according to FM's pics above. I wonder if the lack of body concavity results in less grip or not.
I've noticed two design approaches around this-
one is to make the pedals flat, and only have pins at the front and back, thus creating the concave feel. The other is to make the pedal concave and have pins all over it. Either way seems like you can make it more or less concave by removing pins or putting shorter ones in the middle.

Sunlines nice stuff too, I am running V-1 OS bars and their DH stem. I have the AM stem too but the 50mm DH works better for me. The straitline stuff looks better made, but their stem is like $150!
:eekster:

·
Let's roll.
416 Posts
Thinking about this as well

xjbebop said:
speaking of Sunline...I picked up a new stem for the Spot yesterday, getting ready to install it in a few...
I hope it works better than Chingy's HS....

Not sure if it's kinda 'sexy industrial' or just a bit ugly...we'll see what it looks like on the bike.

*sorry aboot the hijack...
Give it a bashing and let us know the results.

FM - Nice pair of flats you got there. But what happened to the Syncros?

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
I've been eyeing those pedals to replace my 3 year old and ready to rebuilt again AirCorps.
Is that the 'bronze' color?

Didn't I sell you those levers? I still have my dangerboys on my old 755s.

·
Let's roll.
416 Posts
FM said:
Never had the syncros, I had some specialized lo-pros, which I've been fairly happy with but the bushings aren't very durable and specialized does not sell replacement parts.
Oh. Could have sworn that was you. :???:

Well, carry on then. Nothing to see here. Move along, people.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
forester said:
what's the 10% off discount code?
  • [*]For 10% off orders over $100.00, use coupon code vip10
    [*]For 15% off orders over $300.00, use coupon code vip15
    [*]Valid for all returning Universal Cycles customers
    [*]Once your order hits the dollar volume, the discount is applied to your entire order at checkout
    [*]VIP Coupons may not be combined with price match coupons or other offers
    [*]Some products may be excluded from all coupons. They will be noted in red letters in the product description.
    [*]Coupons can not be used on Custom Built Wheelsets, but their dollar value counts toward the thresholds.
    [*]Items that receive free freight still include free freight
    [*]Limited time offer
    [*]Coupon codes vip10 and vip15 expire on June 30, 2008 at midnight.
xxxxxx

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.