Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which pedal? I was wondering which one had the wider surface as well.

I tend to like a wider platform better. Thanks!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

"Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
another vote for Crampons. I have a big, wide foot, and they feel perfect for me. Super reliable too. Never used the Amps, but the Crampons are my favorite pedals to date. And they are incredibly durable too. I've hit rocks hard enough to sprain my ankle, and the pins and body were completely fine.

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
I have approx 2k miles on a set of Amps. Besides lots of scuff marks, they are as good as new. Easily rebuildable when the time comes - and by easily, I mean the entire job, both pedals, should take less than 10 minutes. Never used the Crampons so can't compare.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm not sure what the Crampon axle system is, but straitline pedals don't spin freely like bearing pedals do, so take that into consideration too.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
I believe the Amps are a little smaller, and while neither pedal has much exposed spindle between the pedal body and the crankarm, the Crampons have a bump there to keep your foot away from the crankarm. I've been on the lookout for a deal on the Amps for my 7 year old daughter, as she'd benefit from a narrower q factor, whereas I prefer a bump of some sort to keep my shoes from rubbing.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not sure what the Crampon axle system is, but straitline pedals don't spin freely like bearing pedals do, so take that into consideration too.
The Crampons use DU bushings. They don't spin like bearing pedals either, which I've actually grown to like. I know what my pedals will be doing if i take a foot off. The Crampons have a VERY simple rebuild process (the Amps probably have a similar design). I've been riding mine in southern utah silt/sand for over a year now, and haven't needed a rebuild. Nowhere even close to it yet. But when the day comes, it's just a quick removal of a lock nut, pull out the bushings, put new ones in, and bolt back up.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,180 Posts
Another happy crampon rider here -- had them for about a year, after using older straitlines. Love the super-low profile, and they've held up great in the PacNW mud/wet, plus a lot of trips to rocky chunder.

I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either, however. Both are built solid and you'll never want to go back to bearings.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Why limit your choices to only these pedals? I've tried both and found the Amps to be smallish platform and spin resistance is really high. The Canfields were better but they seemed to develop play easily unless you stay on top of maintenance. I've also tried HT AE01, Point-One Podium, and some other higher end ones and eventually settled on the Hope F20s... best of breed IMO... zero maintenance in a year and they still look brand new after being bashed on DH bike.

The new Raceface pedals look pretty stellar as well, and Chromag has a couple of good options.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only problem I had with the amps was they were too narrow for my size 12 foot. about a quarter of my 5.10 Freerider VXi's would would hang over the outside of the pedal. made it a little uncomfortable on larger drops. Since went with Chromag Scarabs and have loved them so far.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why limit your choices to only these pedals? I've tried both and found the Amps to be smallish platform and spin resistance is really high. The Canfields were better but they seemed to develop play easily unless you stay on top of maintenance. I've also tried HT AE01, Point-One Podium, and some other higher end ones and eventually settled on the Hope F20s... best of breed IMO... zero maintenance in a year and they still look brand new after being bashed on DH bike.

The new Raceface pedals look pretty stellar as well, and Chromag has a couple of good options.
The new Atlas pedals do look pretty sweet, would love to try a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts