Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup my hardtail bike, saddle fairly high for good leg extension..
When I push hard with more than moderate effort my gluts start to strain, and it would be sore afterwards.
I've seen people ask how to use the gluts to cycle but this is seems too much, I didn't have to try, and the gluts strain much more than the quads.

Would this mean my saddle is setback is too far back, or maybe the saddle height is too high. Or the saddle shape is incompatible?

Once I came back riding on the road pushing a moderate pace, there was almost a bruise on inside of one thigh.

I also tried to slide the saddle forward by 1cm but feels like I am just sitting more on the rear part of the saddle instead of actually positioned more forward.

I derived at the current height because if I tried the saddle lower my knees seem to bow out with poor alignment and would hurt. So I chose the lesser evil. That said, more testing at slightly lesser height, could be in order.

I'd appreciate any input on this.. thanks

·
Registered
738 Posts
a guess

"Once I came back riding on the road pushing a moderate pace, there was almost a bruise on inside of one thigh. "

maybe not sitting straight on the bike, resulting in dropping one hip, problem accentuated by a high saddle?

might want to see a professional bike fitter if this is leading to an injury situation.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Some years ago a friend of mine had crazy problems with his hips and back. He tried all sorts of stretches and exercises, saw lots of therapists, and so on... nothing worked until one day someone looked at his bike from the rear and noticed his saddle leaned off to one side. The saddle had broken right at the end of one of the rails, causing it to list off to one side about a cm. Replaced the saddle, problem solved.

Moral of story: before paying for a professional fitting, check to see that everything is in good working order. Also, try sliding your saddle forward even just a couple of mm. It may be all you need.

Mudge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.