Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Answer Hyperlite (Straight) vs. Protaper (Riser Bars)

How can I choose between the two?
It seems to me the many xc riders prefer straight while all-mountain riders prefer riser bars.
Is it true?
Can a pair of bar ends be installed on the answer hyperlite / protaper?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You choose between the two by using two tried and true keys: 1) which to you prefer? 2) make a decision based on that alone not on what anyone else thinks.

Yes it's true that many xc'ers prefer flat, but then again many prefer risers. There are many different sizes of risers. 1", 1.5", 2" etc. Note the word "prefer". It's not based on much. Just personal preference. If you have a longish stem, and flat bars the tendency is to be a bit more forward with a slightly lower center of gravity. This usually helps with climbing. Short stem and risers raises the ctr of grav. somewhat(it all depends on how you're built), moves you back a bit and helps keep the weight a bit further back allowing for easier decending(some claim). Personally I use a 90mm stem with about a 5 degree rise with Azonic world force 2" risers with a 1/2" cut off each end. I like the bit more upright posture for all around xc'g and all mtn riding.

So determine what you like because it feels proper to you.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There's a lot of hype around riser bars and they're toute as the solution to handling problems through better hand positioning.
This is a load of bollocks. XC racers who use risers run thei stems lower to compensate so it would indicate that they're merelt bowing to sponsor preference.

Racers like a low flat back because it helps with recovery and keeps the Heart rate lower.
It's also more aero and distributes their weigh over the bike better.

Trail riders like Riders because it give them a more upright riding position. and they claim better handling and visibilty.
IME it really doesn't matter whether you have a riser or a flat, but the decision should be driven more by being able to get comfortable on your bike.
I prefer flats an the stem inverted so i get a flat back but i do spend more time racing my bike than simple trail riding.
If riser bars are a tool to get you more comforatble on the bike then thats what you should go for. Proper bike fit is more important an in most cases you will have more beneft fromthis than by deciding whether a riser or flat is better.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't think all stems can be inverted, they have to state that they were made for it. Otherwise I'd advise against it.

I've always been told and read that bar ends should not be mounted on riser bars. It puts too much stress on them at the bends of the bar and could lead to failure.

Bars and stems are all trial and error. I'm more of a trail rider/freerider now and have found that a 70mm flat stem and 2" rise bars work for me. Might not be good for XC though! The more upright position and slower steering works for me.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
As a young XCer i prefered flat back and stretched out feel which meant flat bar 120mm stem.As i find myself unable to stop time "aging" i like riser bar for more upright position,my back also likes this position.
Just remember,comfort is more important then trends.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
FISHLEG said:
I don't think all stems can be inverted, they have to state that they were made for it. Otherwise I'd advise against it.

I've always been told and read that bar ends should not be mounted on riser bars. It puts too much stress on them at the bends of the bar and could lead to failure.

Bars and stems are all trial and error. I'm more of a trail rider/freerider now and have found that a 70mm flat stem and 2" rise bars work for me. Might not be good for XC though! The more upright position and slower steering works for me.
Most stems can be inverted especially XCstems. Perhaps those for DH bikes cannot.

BAr ends can be fitted on any aluminium riser and on Carbon risers that have been reinforced in the clamping area.

I think some fashion police make these wild claims to ensure the purity of cooool...

like bird says, comfort is more important than fashion

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
A given bar/stem combo that gives an XC-race position for one person might be fairly upright for another, don't forget frame top tube length either!

I think what matters (to your position if not style police), what combination of:
frame TT length, handlebar (rise, if any and or sweep), stem, fork height (and how much space under the stem on the fork steer tube!) which gives you the upper body/hand position you want (XC/Trail/FR/DH), to match your torso/arm dimensions.

I would say, take the current position you have, and base your bar (and maybe stem) buying decision on how (if any) you want to change your current position (more forward/lower, more upright).

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Go riser

I love my Easton Monkey Lite SL bar so much that I just replaced my flat aluminum bar on my hardtail with one. To compensate for the 3/4" rise, I got a zero degree stem- perfect! There's something about the additional bend angle of the riser bars that really make them comfortable. I don't find that I need bar ends anymore, basically feel more comfortable and in better control over the bike. If you're not into extreme jumping/hucking, a carbon bar adds some vibe dampening and some shock absorbsion.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
I like low risers with a O degree rise stem & 80mm fork

ohvina said:
How can I choose between the two?
It seems to me the many xc riders prefer straight while all-mountain riders prefer riser bars.
Is it true?
Can a pair of bar ends be installed on the answer hyperlite / protaper?
it seems to inspire much more confidence on the downhill while not hampering the bikes climbing ability, also try to leaving the bars uncut for better leverage and handling.

·
Huge Tracts of Land
165 Posts
for me I use a small degree riser to help get my body in a position i feel comfortable

that;'s all I have gone thru the flat bar craze then the flat bar as narrow as your shoulders craze then the stem up high then flat, then negative and in the end I have kept going back to comfort in the end unless you are racing I would recommend whatever you feel most comfortable with --> now comfort may be physical (like me) or mental - risers may make you feel bullet proof and DH proof

good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
for me, it's about sweep.........

I use a riser because, generally speaking, they will have more sweep (the angle of the ends of the bar back toward you) than will flat bars. Height could be accomplished by a higher rise stem, or not cutting as much off of the steerer on the fork when installing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A question along this topic...

I've read this debate over and over and I realize it comes down to how it feels for the individual. My question is what is the most cost effective way to try a few diff bars? It's not like you can demo a handlebar like with a bike, skis, etc.

I'm interested in trying a riser just to see if I enjoy the ride any more but don't want to have to buy a few diff risers to find the rise/sweep I want/need. I know I may have to play with e stem as well, but righ now I'll stick to the bar. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

BTW, I'm on a HT XC setup right now with flat bar.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Try the Titec Flat tracker bar...

It's a flat bar with the width and sweep of a riser without the rise. Or you can look at is as a riser bar with a ZERO rise. I have two. I prefer them for the sweep (9 deg back, 5 deg up) that makes for more comfortable hand positioning, and they're a bit stiffer and lighter than risers. Best of all, no rise. Oh, and no one will comment "you have bar ends on your risers?".

REEK

·
Registered
224 Posts
Titec Flattrackers rock!

Dave B said:
I use a riser because, generally speaking, they will have more sweep (the angle of the ends of the bar back toward you) than will flat bars. Height could be accomplished by a higher rise stem, or not cutting as much off of the steerer on the fork when installing it.
All the sweep and width of a riser, with the strength of a flattie..

Risers are comfy, but weaker due to the four bends,,

·
Registered
571 Posts
Too lazy to read the whole thread, so sorry if this was already mentioned...

A unique third alternative to straights and risers are the Jones H-bars. 45 deg sweeps and give both a good riding and climbing position all in one.

Not for everyone, but worth a look incase it addresses some of the needs you may curious about.

www.jonesbikes.com

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Never heard any hype about riser bars like you mention, but I have to say you're full of crap when it comes to your hype about flat bars, recovery and heart rate. If anything a more upright position allows the chest to more naturally expand, not being bent over. Flats are more aerodynamic, but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
fred? said:
Never heard any hype about riser bars like you mention, but I have to say you're full of crap when it comes to your hype about flat bars, recovery and heart rate. If anything a more upright position allows the chest to more naturally expand, not being bent over. Flats are more aerodynamic, but that's about it.
Yes I completely agree. Saying that improved handling and ballance is hype and bullsh!t about risers, is just as valid as saying heartrate and recovery time is hype and bullsh!t. In reality it's probably all hype and bullsh!t. Different strokes for different folks... We're all made different.

I'm interested in trying a riser just to see if I enjoy the ride any more but don't want to have to buy a few diff risers to find the rise/sweep I want/need. I know I may have to play with e stem as well, but righ now I'll stick to the bar. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!
Find some buddies who have them and trade bars. Messing with the stem is not neccessary, it's all preferance. You may find that you like how the riser feels on the same stem, you might not. Just dont feel compelled to change it just cause there's a riser on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.