Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
New year update-4 Banger

4BFEB15RearRightQuarter_zpsbf265497.jpg

Changed out the Rock Shox Recon fork (85-130mm) for a Fox Float 32RL (130mm). Lost 1.5 pounds, and the fork performance may even be better. Replaced the 90mm RaceFace stem with a 40mm Spoon stem. That might be too drastic but I am looking forward to riding it for a while. I built the wheels with DT Swiss Onyx hubs and WTB i23 Frequency Tubeless rims. Changed the tires to Continental Race Kings Protection, run as tubeless, and replaced the seat with a Specialized Phenom.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
New year update-Straight 6

S6FEB15RearRightQuarter_zps63682326.jpg

Installed a Frankenshock (with a 500 lb spring) on the S6. I have the parts to build one more shock for a spare or I can run on it on another frame I have. I also replaced the 70mm Specialized stem with a 50mm RaceFace D2. The D2 is way overkill as I am not planning any DH adventures anytime soon, but it was only $20 on CL and I wanted to try a 50mm stem-so here we are.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
4 Banger Bass Boat Blue Mixer-27.5" Front/26" Rear

4B BBB Right Side.jpg

4B BBB Front Right Quarter.jpg

4B BBB Top Right Rear Quarter.jpg

Got inspired by the Foes 29/27.5 Mixer. The fork is a Rockshox 29" Reba RLC Ti. The 29" fork gives the 27.5" wheel lots of clearance and puts the HA at about 68 degrees. I am running a 1x9 so I converted the front shifter to run the Gravity Dropper post. The front axle is about 1" higher than the rear axle. The bottom bracket is at 14.5". That is high by modern standards but it still rides really well. It is super fun to ride and surprisingly different from my other 4B set up. So far, I really like it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
4 Banger Bass Boat Gold: A more modern All Mountain interpretation

4B BBG Right Side 1.jpg

4B BBG Right Side 3.jpg

4B BBG Top Right Rear Quarter.jpg

Moved the Rockshox Sektor over from the Straight 6. The Sektor is dual position: 130 and 150mm travel, which will vary the HA between 67 and 69 degrees. The upper pic is with the fork at 130mm, the middle pic is with the fork at 150mm. I running a 1x10 (30x11-36), so I converted the front shifter to run the Gravity Dropper post. Put 2.4" Continental Tires front and back. This set up is really versatile and is my go to ride.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
SOMEDAY I'm going to actually build my 275 Sweetspot concept. It was supposed to be done by now...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
4B BBG NOS Side 2.jpg 4B BBG NOS Rear 1.jpg

Found a NOS front triangle-never had a BB or headset installed. Built last weekend, first ride yesterday. This is a 21" frame. I have found over the last 3 years for building, rebuilding, riding, measuring, riding some more that the top tube (really the reach measurement) turns out to be the really important (not surprising that it is a focus on modern frames). This frame has ~430mm of reach, about 30mm more than my other two 19" frames. It has a longer wheel base with about a 66.5 HA. All that makes descending easier and climbing more stable. But the trade off is no dropper post. While the large frame has plenty of standover height, the seat post tube is too tall to take a GD dropper post. There might be a work around but it would involve cutting the frame; not something I plan to do. The 1999 4B design will let you ride one frame size up with enough standover to be comfortable. Then you can use a short stem to get the same or better cockpit room. Overall, I am very happy with the way this turned out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update to the 4B BBG 21" NOS Build

4B BBG 21 Left Front Quarter.jpg

Added a Gravity Dropper seat post. Put a 27.5 wheel in a Reba RLT Ti fork with 27.5 lowers. It rocks!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
4B BBG RS 150mm Front Right Quarter.jpg

4B BBG RS 150mm Right Side.jpg

Fork is now a Rockshox Revelation RLT 150mm Dual Air CSU mated to a Sektor lower with a 27.5 front wheel. The air spring as a new cap that accepts RS tokens.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts