Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to take the axle out of my stout rear hub, and the damn thing doesnt want to come out. Ive been messing with it for quiet a while and it just wont come out. does anybody know how to get the axle out?? Its the stock hub that came on my 2005 specialized sx trail. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Right or wrong this is how mine came loose. Take the lock nut and adjuster nut off the non-drive side. Tap on the non-drive side axle-end to knock the axle AND BEARING out of the drive side. If you're replacing bearings, let me know which ones you get and how it goes. Mine are sloppy now and causes a lot of rotor-rub.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does it have an 8mm head on the non drive side? Or is it 15mm bolt on nuts?

With the 8mm, You can try using a cone wrench on the flats of the hub and an 8mm on the axle to break it loose (I havent done this before so I am not totally sure). Then just tap it out and make sure you grease it when you put it back in.

Bolt on.. I am not sure.

Uncertanty.. its what i do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, i wasnt replacing bearings, i just had to get the axle out of the way so i could get the casette off. I ended up just loosening everything i could get to, cones, nuts, etc, and the knocked the bearings out of the non drive side. That allowed the axle to slide through the hub most of the way to get to the casette off. I never did get the axle all the way off though. Damn this hub is a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
666 Posts
Shouldn't need to remove the axle to get the cassette off. Even my old Park Tools lock-ring tool has a big enuf hole to fit over the bolt on axle. Oh well, at least you got it all worked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.