Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the real story behind the Specialized tire?
As I understand it the tire was originally made for Filip Meiraeghe. He pre-rode the Athens Olympic course and thought that a 29er would be best. This was all prior to his epo positive so the tire and the bike never happened. Is this true? Was Specialized also going to make a prototype 29er bike for him? Anybody know?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess I missed that one. Can't help but think of what might have been. If Filip just entered(and didn't even win) the Olympics on a 29er, I think the industry would be in a much different place right now. Oh, what could have been. But as they say "Dopers Suck"!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Polish Coyote

My wife's family is significantly Polish, and I'm Polish Sausage. I would never insult someone's ethnic heritage, but the story about the Polish Coyote always makes me smile and your alias reminded me of that, and it made me smile :D I always have this vision of Wiley Coyote.... Maybe it should be the Wiley Coyote story. Today has been such a rainy gloomy day it may have been the first time I smiled all day. Thanks. :cool:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Was his decision to go 29" based on the pre-ride or the stories in the pack about the new UCI rules, and some teams experimenting already?
Filip was a capable decender always. World Champ (dope free, apparently) in 2003, on an extremely bobby FS bike.
Bart Brentjens (bronze) was making back up 10secs per twice-a-lap descend up to Olympic winner Absalon, on a stock Giant MCM with I think UST tires.
Considering the Fast Traks seem made for the Athens course, with it's significant dust over hardpack...29" kicking butt on descends where time is to be won/lost...the one steep summit which it took everything out of the best climbers to clean (Bart walked)...even Filip dope-free and out of shape would have been an interesting showing.
In so many ways too bad that he got nervous towards the Olympics and had to take "insurance". Good for Specialized and most of the rest of the MTB industry though, Athens was AFTER Eurobike, it would have been one silly post-Olympic race in Taiwan to get product ready. Who wants a 26" bike, or a Specialized for that matter, in 2005 if the fresh Olympic champion rode a 29"er, the single one in the Athens results? Taking huge heaps of time on the DOWNHILLS of all places! Mayor head scratcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.