Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
I just returned from a visit to Tucson to find my yard covered with 6 inches of snow. Most of my local trails probably have closer to a foot on them.

We're going to Fruita for T-giving and will probably squeek in a few low elevation rides near home but I've pretty much written off my 2021 MTB season. Time for me to get in shape for ski season.

My wife's new fat bike will be ready at the end of October so we'll see how many mile she puts on it.
At least it wasn't like last year, and over 100º last week.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Down under in NZ the weather is crappy all year round...

So, I ride all year round!!

Weather's not really too bad, doesn't get too great to be fair though.

Trails are usually damp'ish.

Probably dry 2-3 months of the year.

This Spring has been particularly wet (local town).

More roadies would be ideal, if it weren't for that annoying thing called work!!

My HT gets the Lions share of riding during late Autumn/Winter.

I'd prefer not to ride on muddy trails...

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are the roads salted where you live? If so, store it in the house somewhere. Road salt from your vehicle(s) tends to get onto anything in the garage, at least where I live.
Yes, this is a salty area, I've never had problems before but I may consider bringing it into the house I mean it was a bit of an investment that I was lucky to find within 4 hours of the house!

[
I try to ride year round. I have the clothing to do so. My last cold ride was Thanksgiving 2019. Temp was a balmy 11 degrees at 8 am with a 15 mph wind. Parking lot was brutal, but in the woods the first 15 mins my fingers were very cold, but i warmed up after that. Ended up riding about 1.5 hours. Winter rides are short, no more than 1.5-2 hours. Past that I get miserable in the cold.
I have decided that 20 Degrees is the minimum (maybe 18 or 19 if I was feeling plucky). Beyond that it's such a pain to make sure I can see (prescription goggles) and feel my fingers/toes. I figure if I'm suffering more than I am happy it's time to go back to the parking lot, which happened on several of my winter attempts last year. One year from now I'll be approaching what I hope to be another opportunity for winter riding but this year it's not happening :confused:

As expected, studded tire usage is very condition dependent. As a point of reference, I hated studded tires for our local conditions. We just never get consistent coverage of snow and/or ice. The studded tires may have worked well for traction, but the constant grinding on exposed rocks was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I was also consistently losing studs...
Yes, I'm thinking it might not be worth the hassle. Snow cover is uneven, not sure they would help a 2.4-2.6" MTB in deep snow. The only conditions where I think they would work is very cold (think sub 20 degrees for a day or 2) to freeze up that ground/ice layer underneath.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,205 Posts
Yes, I'm thinking it might not be worth the hassle. Snow cover is uneven, not sure they would help a 2.4-2.6" MTB in deep snow. The only conditions where I think they would work is very cold (think sub 20 degrees for a day or 2) to freeze up that ground/ice layer underneath.
Studded tires are like total magic in full ice conditions. Like, laughing out loud maniacally. :)

·
Never trust a fart
4,484 Posts
Last snow ride I did started in the snow and ice (Delaware/MD weather) where studded tires would have help, to everything melting in 2.5 hours if you got onto the trails at 8, but would have sucked the last hour.

Weather through the 95 corridor through the Mid Atlantic states, is always questionable. If I lived further North, I'd seriously think about studded tires.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts