Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the riding season was fun while it lasted. I've hoisted my 21 Fuel EX8 up onto the garage wall and will probably bring it down around March/April once the winder melt off has dried up enough. There were some accident consequences that caused this.

Anyone else packing it in for winter?

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Candlestick Maker
3,205 Posts
Living on the Front Range of Colorado, I'm lucky enough to be able to ride dry trails almost every month of the year. But, the 29er does migrate towards the back of the shed as I ride my fat bike and/or gravel bike more during the more questionable months of the year.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love dry trails year round but we've been getting plenty of snow cover lately. When it hard freezes it's at least accessible with something like the Fuel but I was really considering studded tires after half a dozen washouts on black ice under snow. Maybe next winter

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I usually quit when the temps drop below around 40 degrees. Here in Massachusetts that's usually around November. Occasionally I'll go in December. But it sort of depends on snowboard season, because once that's in full swing, my free time goes towards that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm able to ride year round. The only difference in summer and winter riding for me is that sometimes I need a jacket in the winter.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
I typically ride until the ski area opens for the winter. This year they’re aiming for a Black Friday opening date.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I'd love dry trails year round but we've been getting plenty of snow cover lately. When it hard freezes it's at least accessible with something like the Fuel but I was really considering studded tires after half a dozen washouts on black ice under snow. Maybe next winter
Invest in a fat bike with studded tires.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here in Sun Valley, mid-October is when the season really gets into swing for about 6 months. Bikes spend more time idle in the summer when only masochists ride.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,205 Posts
Invest in a fat bike with studded tires.
As expected, studded tire usage is very condition dependent. As a point of reference, I hated studded tires for our local conditions. We just never get consistent coverage of snow and/or ice. The studded tires may have worked well for traction, but the constant grinding on exposed rocks was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I was also consistently losing studs...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Well, the riding season was fun while it lasted. I've hoisted my 21 Fuel EX8 up onto the garage wall and will probably bring it down around March/April once the winder melt off has dried up enough. There were some accident consequences that caused this.

Anyone else packing it in for winter?

View attachment 1952164
Are the roads salted where you live? If so, store it in the house somewhere. Road salt from your vehicle(s) tends to get onto anything in the garage, at least where I live.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I'll be putting the bikes away for the season in early November. Today was ride 130 so I have 5 to go to reach my meaningless goal of 135 which, when added to my 65 days skiing this year, will give me an even 200 days of activity.

That's just me but if I set a goal ahead of time, it gets me out when I might have stayed in. Last year I rode New Year's Eve.

I hate riding in cold weather, proper gear or not.

·
Never trust a fart
4,484 Posts
I try to ride year round. I have the clothing to do so. My last cold ride was Thanksgiving 2019. Temp was a balmy 11 degrees at 8 am with a 15 mph wind. Parking lot was brutal, but in the woods the first 15 mins my fingers were very cold, but i warmed up after that. Ended up riding about 1.5 hours. Winter rides are short, no more than 1.5-2 hours. Past that I get miserable in the cold.

·
2,657 Posts
Mountain bike season is winding down here in northern New England. I'll keep riding until the snow falls then its fat biking and ski season. Between my gravel bike, mountain bike and fat bike - I'm riding year round.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I just returned from a visit to Tucson to find my yard covered with 6 inches of snow. Most of my local trails probably have closer to a foot on them.

We're going to Fruita for T-giving and will probably squeek in a few low elevation rides near home but I've pretty much written off my 2021 MTB season. Time for me to get in shape for ski season.

My wife's new fat bike will be ready at the end of October so we'll see how many mile she puts on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts