Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just down in the basement, assuring the Reborn Burner that I'd take it out for a spin in the near future (I didn't tell it how much fun I was having riding my vee brake 3" townie). I realized the Burner has been sitting there, upright, for about 5 weeks now. The Superlight, too. And the two forks I've got in boxes (Revelation, Fox 32 100 RLC).

Should I turn both bikes and both spare forks upside down periodically to "lube the seals", leave them all upside down permanently, just turn them upside down for 5 minutes every now and then?

They're all upside down now, waiting for a knowledgeable reply from Homerville.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Yep, you can keep them upside down.

I have two zokes downstairs in storage, one is my Z1 Light, one is a 2001 XFly 100. You can also keep a film of oil on the dust wipers as well to keep them from rotting and oxidizing, but in my experience, they're pretty resilient. At least Zokes are.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Hey XC yup I think its good periodically to to flip em to get the fluid to flow into the seals etc, I wouldn't store em like that, earlier disc brakes could get bubbles in the hoses but Ive not had issues with later sets, so I don't worry about it know!

A day/s is enough, weeks nah! get some stuff from Enduro forks seals dot com for fork lubing will help too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got BB7s so no worries about hydraulic issues. I lube the seals/stanchions with Finish Line Day so the tops of the seals are lubed. I just wondered about the length of time for the forks to be upside down, like how long does it actually take for the interior of the seals to get a good "bath". And...are there any issues with the shocks' positions being reversed?

And while I'm asking, is it a good idea to actuate the forks/shocks periodically---even down in the basement, just to mix things up in there? I don't want my bikes to feel forgotten.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
xcguy said:
I've got BB7s so no worries about hydraulic issues. I lube the seals/stanchions with Finish Line Day so the tops of the seals are lubed. I just wondered about the length of time for the forks to be upside down, like how long does it actually take for the interior of the seals to get a good "bath". And...are there any issues with the shocks' positions being reversed?

And while I'm asking, is it a good idea to actuate the forks/shocks periodically---even down in the basement, just to mix things up in there? I don't want my bikes to feel forgotten.
Ya I threw that out there as a general rule, though I didn't know that you had cable discs! ;)

I use finish line epic good too, great minds think alike, I like the Enduro stuff will try some of there stuff later on!

Yeah I wonder about time as well I think rotation both ways is a good thing any one position for any length of time is never good :D

Ive run coil shocks reversed when clearance of the piggyback was fine and good to go!
On forks hard to say I think it depends on the way the manufacture intended things shocks are probably made to different stds because they could go either way!

Forks I don't like to leave em upside down to long and not in cold damp locations where condensation could penetrate, being in the teclo industry of 15years Ive seen moisture do amazing things and penetrate un penetrable things, the process of osmosis's! Plus bikes never like to be left in dark places bike rooms make much better ride friends later especially when we talking this level of quality bike:D jmo and fetish all good I would love an old barn converted into a bike hut wooden floors polished up, rubber matting, PT tooled walls air compressors the works nice bed for Maxxis in the corner :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good info to know.

I'm glad you guys are talking about storage of bikes and forks. I had heard to store them upside down but have never followed the advice. Im going to hang mine upside down from;) now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.