Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a growing collection of bikes in my family and need some sort of space efficient way of storing them all. The best method I can find at this point is to hang them from the garage ceiling above our automobiles. I have found the proper hooks needed to hang the bikes securely and a solid method for locking them into place. I simply need to know, at this point, at which place on the bike itself is it the safest to hang it from? Should I put the hook through the wheels and hang it upside down (I have both HT and FS bikes)? Under the top tube? Handle bars and seat? I appreciate any help you can provide!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
gonna be hard to hang from the top tube, if hooks are in ceiling.

depending on room, I'd hang by one or both wheels, which is prolly the easiest way too. No problem with bikes hanging for yrs this way *aside from dry rot*

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
logbiter said:
gonna be hard to hang from the top tube, if hooks are in ceiling.

depending on room, I'd hang by one or both wheels, which is prolly the easiest way too. No problem with bikes hanging for yrs this way *aside from dry rot*
Thanks for your response. This is what I had envisioned, but I was worried about putting pressure on the suspension (both front fork and rear shock) when fully extended for prolonged periods of time (such as all winter long when weather does not permit riding). Again, I appreciate the information!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have run into the same storage problem (a couple 16 inchers for the kids and a couple old schwinns that I've acquired have cramped the garage space). I hang everything upside down except my fs bike w/hydraulic discs - other threads have noted that this type of storage can cause problems with this type of brake systems. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you have hydro discs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't quote me, but I have heard that this is a bad way to do it if you have any suspension at all. The oil can leak from the fork and send them to an early grave. But then I could be totally wrong....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tateb said:
I have run into the same storage problem (a couple 16 inchers for the kids and a couple old schwinns that I've acquired have cramped the garage space). I hang everything upside down except my fs bike w/hydraulic discs - other threads have noted that this type of storage can cause problems with this type of brake systems. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you have hydro discs.
...which I do. I found the same after doing a little more research myself. Thank you!

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
With disc, I've had no problems hanging my bikes by one of the tires (with the other resting agains the wall). If you alternate hanging them by front/back tire you can put the bikes closer together. This has worked well with hayes, juicy 7, and shimano brakes. Disclaimer-- I don't leave them their for the entire winter. Living in the front range of Colorado their is no off season only a few bad weeks :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.