Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hold onto'er Cookie
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I was just wondering if it is a bad idea keeping my bike in a workstand while I am not riding. I like to keep it off of the damp floor and out of the way, but I am worried that maybe the weight will damage my seat post or the angle it hangs at will not be good for my hydraulic brakes. I have a Devinci 8-flat-8 which is rather heavy and have been hanging it since I got it 3 months ago. I am just now starting to wonder if I have been making a mistake. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Maby

I would say for the most part, your bike will be fine. At my shop we leave a few bikes in the stands overnight, absoutly nothing comes of it. It does make me a bit worried, but nothing seems to happen to them. As long as your bike is level, all should be good for your seals, and hydros. If its a quality stand, and you tighten your seatpost bold a bit, it SHOULD be fine.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
cookie144 said:
Hey. I was just wondering if it is a bad idea keeping my bike in a workstand while I am not riding. I like to keep it off of the damp floor and out of the way, but I am worried that maybe the weight will damage my seat post or the angle it hangs at will not be good for my hydraulic brakes. I have a Devinci 8-flat-8 which is rather heavy and have been hanging it since I got it 3 months ago. I am just now starting to wonder if I have been making a mistake. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
I always put my bike in the work stand as soon as I get home and after wiping it off I just leave it in a balanced position. (The position that it wants to be when the clamp is loosened. Front about 30 degrees down.) I have a Thomson Elite seatpost and have not even noticed any ill effects. Not even the anodising looking worn. I've also never had a problem with hydraulic disc brakes. The reservoirs are angled foreword, but not enough to matter. I've been doing this for about a year now.

Ronnie.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Think of it this way: when it's in the stand, the post is perhaps supporting a 28 to 35 pound weight, but when you're out riding, that same post is designed to support 180, 200, 225, 250 pound rider's fat arses hanging off the back of the saddle trying to bend it backward against the frame. I wouldn't worry one bit.

·
Hold onto'er Cookie
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true. I agree, and that is what has kept me doing it, but I still leave my workshop every time worrying that I will come back to a bent mess. I let it hang balanced, with the front end dangling where it wants too and there seems to minimal pressure anywhere. I just am a tad up tight about my invesment I guess. Thanks for the reassurance eveyone.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
it definitely won't hurt it... a bike's own weight practically can't hurt it... that's why you can crash super hard and your bike can go flying down the trail, and as long as you're full unclipped in the initial impact your bike will be fine.... for the most part anyway.....

you guys worry too much :p

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
There is totally no possible way that a bike hanging in a workstand could ever possibly damage the seatpost or any other part of the bike. Same with hanging a bike by the wheels.

Absolutely no reason to worry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.