Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im not sure if i have the right section for this or not if i don't i am sorry
I have a bike and have a questiona bout storage
does anyone here hang there bikes up from there ceiling in garage ?
i have no room in my garage on the floor so im thinking about hooks in the ceiling to hang the bike from
but do i hang it upside down from the wheels ?
or would that be hzerdouse to the bike to do that ?
or do i hang it from the same bar that i use when putting bike on car rack ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
You will be fine to hang it upside down. There are really only 2 hazards, brakes and suspension seals.

For your brakes, if you need a bleed it will be much more apparent when you get on the bike as the air in the system will be right at the piston of your hydraulic brakes. This will lead to the air trying to fight its way back to the higher lever position as you ride for the first bit.

Second, if you fork seals are leaky it will only emphasize that problem as the fork fluid will be resting right up against the seals when it's upside down. On the other hand, if your fork seals are in good condition, they will be plenty lubed for when you start to ride and feel good.

Other than that, just make sure the hook you hang it from is coated or padded to prevent damage to your wheels.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'd suggest hanging it right side up if possible. It's just as easy to do as upside down, and it avoids the leaky fork seal issue altogether. Nothing worse than finding out you do have a fork seal leak, and not knowing if you have enough oil in them to keep riding. Just hang from handlebars and seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will be fine to hang it upside down. There are really only 2 hazards, brakes and suspension seals.

For your brakes, if you need a bleed it will be much more apparent when you get on the bike as the air in the system will be right at the piston of your hydraulic brakes. This will lead to the air trying to fight its way back to the higher lever position as you ride for the first bit.

Second, if you fork seals are leaky it will only emphasize that problem as the fork fluid will be resting right up against the seals when it's upside down. On the other hand, if your fork seals are in good condition, they will be plenty lubed for when you start to ride and feel good.

Other than that, just make sure the hook you hang it from is coated or padded to prevent damage to your wheels.
ok cool thanks
cause im not looking for for long tearm storage i mean i will probably be riding every day like always so its going to be going up and down atleast every other day if not every day
so i didn't know if it was good or bad to keep taking it up and down and if it was bad for the wheels don't want them to bend or stretch out and not sure if hanging them would take them out of true also

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest hanging it right side up if possible. It's just as easy to do as upside down, and it avoids the leaky fork seal issue altogether. Nothing worse than finding out you do have a fork seal leak, and not knowing if you have enough oil in them to keep riding. Just hang from handlebars and seat.
ok cool i never thought about hanging from the handle bars and the seat
can you help me with what i would need for this what kind of hook should i gret to hand from handle bars and seat ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.