Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could people post pictures of how they store their bikes....I am looking for ideas to create more room in my garage by hanging the bikes or any other ideas you have

·
Still can't fool gravity
17 Posts
How about this.

I've got cabinets all the way around my garage and didn't want to lose any for bike storage so I modified a shelving unit that I had left over from a project and was able to fit three bikes in it.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

Some copper fittings on top to hang the bike

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

PVC keeper below and the whole assembly on wheels so it's never in the way.

Composite material Synthetic rubber Bicycle wheel Fedora Pipe

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Maybe it was this one (called the "El Greco" .. if so, I need to get to walmart:

http://www.target.com/Delta-Design-Greco-Ceiling-Hoist/dp/B000ME0TW8

As for what I do, I have a few setups (some in use, some waiitng for a wall to attach it to).

First one is a ghetto version of the El Greco, two pulleys (single) attached to the ceiling via hooks, then another (double) attached to the right where both ropes go thru. Pull down, on the rope, lifts the bike via some hooks. I hate it, but it works, mainly because I have a 12' ceiling in my garage. Hardware cost me around $10 (3 pulleys, 2 hooks, 3 eye bolts and rope) ... but my pulleys suck, so it's overall crappy to get the bike up there. Advantage is that it picks up any size / shape / weight bike.

Second is a Swagman Fold it: http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/Specs/shp/?itemId=10386155 . It claims to be able to hold 20kg (44lbs to the layperson) but I don't know. I have hung my 31-ish lb Enduro from it (with adapter bar, probably another 2 lbs) and it flexed enough that i'd say that's its max. My roadbike, however (24-ish lbs) doesn't move it. Pretty cheap ($12 I believe I paid)

Third is my basement mount, this thing is AWESOME ... but it didn't come free at all. http://www.saris.com/p-171-bike-bunk.aspx .. it's Saris, and it holds two bikes without needing to be bolted to anything ( just lean it against a wall ). Lots of adjustment, but the cost is there (paid around $90 I think) ... very nice and compact.

BTW: whoever has that sexy Surly, is that a Pugsley by any chance? A guy brought that to a race to show off riding around the sites (not racing) and let me take it for a spin; awesome bike.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
In the spare bedroom, we used a combination of a 2-bike stand, and a bunch of old Thule trays that were not suitable for use on top of the car.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle wheel

A lot of the parts were pulled out of various peoples trash on Bulk Pickup days around town.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

This wasn't an ideal situation, so I ended up getting a 4-bike stand from Performance. Now I have enough room to work on the bikes and store some extra junk as well.

I like the PVC racks. That's some engineering.

·
slow
7,796 Posts
No photos, but in my last two houses, I built shelves around the walls. Shelves were 16' deep and made from 2x4 and OSB, with 2x4 braces every 4 feet. Shelves ran around 3 sides of the garage about 2 feet down from the ceiling. The shelves held camping gear, tools, etc, while hooks under the front 2x4 held the bikes parallel to the walls underneath the shelves. I would usually use 2 hooks, one for the stem and one for the saddle. This allowed for lots of room for storage and I was still able to get the cars in. You could also just hang the bikes from one wheel to fit more bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.