Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could people post pictures of how they store their bikes....I am looking for ideas to create more room in my garage by hanging the bikes or any other ideas you have

·
Registered
101 Posts
I keep my bikes in my living room. this way when I have people over and I run out of seats, somebody can site on a bike ;)

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Here ya go SMT

I use the $5 bike storage rack they sell at Lowes. It is cheap and works fricken awesome. I have anchored them into studs in the wall and they are solid. Depending on the bike frame, you might have to finaggle with how you hang them. The only bike I have that does not hang well is the BottleRocket. As you can see, I have to use the down tube, so I wrapped the hanger with microfiber cloth to protect the down tube and the decals. The BR is my newest bike, so I am a little more cautious of it. The hangers will bend to conform to the frame too, as you can see on the Diablo. So, a total of $20 and all four bikes are hung and off the ground. The hangers are rated up to 50lbs too. Just an idea for ya.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
62kona said:
I also got one of the $5 lows hangers for my coiler. I keep it in my bedroom above my small office space. It works great!
u guys say the hooks are strong...but you can bend them??? how long have you had them

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been using the "hardware store" hangers since the early ‘90s and they still work. I believe they can support up to 75lbs, maybe more. I also just use some drywall hangers to screw them into and have never had one come crashing down, even during the Northridge earthquake.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
u guys say the hooks are strong...but you can bend them??? how long have you had them
I have had three of the bikes hanging for almost two years. The hangers can bend torsionally by force or they will conform to the bike over time and level the bike out. Just be sure to sink the screws into a stud. I hung my hardtail (28lbs) first using drywall anchors, and with the moisture in the garage the drywall gave way and the bike fell. It tore a perfectly square chunk out of the drywall. Since then I got smart and put them into the studs. They work great. Also, the hangers can fold up against the wall when the bike it off.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Ohh... I believe the grey hangers support 50+lbs and the black one I have on the Diablo is rated up to 75+lbs. It is a bit thicker but harder to find around here.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hanging system

Ah yes, I have struggled with the same situation. Fortunately, I have an unfinished garage and rigged up a few pulleys and cleats (actually used mainsheet blocks from a sailboat but a cleat will work just as well) to store them in the rafters. One thing I've learned with any pulley system is that rope friction actually counteracts mechanical advantage. So if you do any sort of pulley system make sure you use a tightly braided nylon rope and just keep it to a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage. Trying to go beyond that results in too much friction and a lot of wasted effort. Some pics of my set up.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trail bait said:
Simi has the lowest crime in America, just leave them outside.
actually the garage has been tried to be broken in with a screwdriver....Lucky for a deadbolt....plus I keep them locked up all the time

·
Registered
556 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
cleaning it up...shocker
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Planning ahead to long is just procrastinating. My suggestion is get a dumpster and throw out everything you can't sell on Ebay. I doubt any Ebayers are gonna give you any money for that used Jeff Gordon blow up doll and don't throw it in the trash thats a bio-hazzard.

·
Registered
938 Posts
trail bait said:
doubt any Ebayers are gonna give you any money for that used Jeff Gordon blow up doll and don't throw it in the trash thats a bio-hazzard.
hahahaha, sad part is there probably is a few of those in that garage and house. Are you sure it worth cleaning your garage, wouldn't burning it down and starting over be an easier and cheaper task. I dont even want to know whats hidden in there.

smt as a child,

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.