Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bikes ('09 GF Cobia, '07 Giant hybrid) spend most of their time outdoors but in a carport or screened porch. They're protected from sun and rain but not cold. I also have a good-sized shed, but it's not heated. I don't have a garage or basement.

Will the bikes be ok in an environment that's protected from wind/sun/rain but not cold? A sales person at an LBS told me cold weather (say below 25F) is bad for hydraulic discs (not a problem for me) and air forks (Cobia has one). I'd never heard this and the Giant (cheap fork, cheap discs) did fine in the shed last winter. But now I'm paranoid.

My indoor option is to persuade my wife to store it in the small utility room, but she doesn't see why I need two bikes anyhow...

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Not really a problem...

ctbarron said:
My bikes ('09 GF Cobia, '07 Giant hybrid) spend most of their time outdoors but in a carport or screened porch. They're protected from sun and rain but not cold. I also have a good-sized shed, but it's not heated. I don't have a garage or basement.

Will the bikes be ok in an environment that's protected from wind/sun/rain but not cold? A sales person at an LBS told me cold weather (say below 25F) is bad for hydraulic discs (not a problem for me) and air forks (Cobia has one). I'd never heard this and the Giant (cheap fork, cheap discs) did fine in the shed last winter. But now I'm paranoid.

My indoor option is to persuade my wife to store it in the small utility room, but she doesn't see why I need two bikes anyhow...
So long as they're out of the rain/snow and protected from the wind, you'll be fine storing them in the cold.

I'd pick the shed over the carport.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No problem with cold storage in the shed. As you point out the other bike did fine.

The only concern is that sometimes uninsulated storage can be a bit damp, so make sure bare metal is well protected against corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.