Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 giant boulder SE and i ride it around the city a lot and on some trials. i was just wondering if there was a product that would stop the chain from moving around so much when i ride off a curb or drop? everything is stock on this bike because i am only 14. the chain just flops around on the bottom area (under chainstay) and it hit everything and it is very annoying. thanks for any input.

Eric

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Are you talking about the chain hitting your frame? If thats it you can get a lizardskin which will stop the noise, but not the hitting. To stop that get in a higher gear. Adn take up some of the slack in the chain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think it is hitting the frame, i think it is hitting the other chainrings on the cranks. if i bought a Kore Chain Reactor would that help at all or should i switch from a 7 speed cog to a 9 speed cog? thanks

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
ericmccull11 said:
i have a 2003 giant boulder SE and i ride it around the city a lot and on some trials. i was just wondering if there was a product that would stop the chain from moving around so much when i ride off a curb or drop? everything is stock on this bike because i am only 14. the chain just flops around on the bottom area (under chainstay) and it hit everything and it is very annoying. thanks for any input.

Eric
Couple things. Lower end rear derailleurs aren't the best at keeping the chain tensioned. So it could just be something you need to live with.

It could also be that your chain is too long. Some LBS's just slap their bikes together and will put the chain on extra long rather than adjusting it. On my wifes bike, I has to remove like 2" of links from the chain.
Take a look at this and see if your chain is the right length:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
Use the "LARGEST COG and LARGEST CHAINRING METHOD"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.