Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
_____
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few posts recently about stolen bikes. One guy even mentioned he had a bike stolen out of his garage while he was working on his truck. With so many desperate tweakers in the Valley I think it is only a matter time before one breaks into my central Phoenix house. I keep my bikes locked together with a good U-lock in my storage shed/shop. What are some other ideas to keep bikes safe in garages and storage sheds? I have been unsuccessful in convincing my wife that my ibis is a work of art that should be on display over the fireplace :D

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
I don't know dude....I just keep hoping for that fictional moment when a tweaker walks into my garage and try's to steal LaFawnduh...and I catch'em in the act.

At that point....the monologue begins:

"Zed? It's maadjuruger. The spider just caught a fly"

An hour later, Zed shows up. Zed says, "Bring out The Gimp"....I say, "I think The Gimp's asleep". Zed replies, "Well, I guess you'll just wake 'em up then, won't you?". At that point.....I open up a door and yell....."WAKE UP!"

I know....it's rather Walter Mitty....but it brings a grin to my face every time I read about this crap.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hear where you're comming from silicon dioxide....my brother in law is a cop in the squaw peak precinct (my hood) and it's almost always the tweakers stealing. Get your bikes in the house. My neighbor had his dirtbike stolen and they had to go through the gate into his back yard and into his shed to get it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
put yer foot down for the wife, tell her what is important, and then run for cover you wuss........

take the u-lock and chain it to something that doesn't move.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
I grew up in tweakerville, USA. I pathetic excuse of a S-hole in Southern CA disguised as a picturesque mountain town. I'm far too familiar with these jagoffs. Desperate tweakers are the lowest scum of society, just effin sickening.

damn you guys!!! now I gotta go out to my garage and figure out some better bike security or I won't be able to sleep tonight.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Eabos....my wife is from Lake Sh!tball Pine, CA.....aka, Cedarpines Park, CA....up on the Rim of the World....true mountain trash....Went to Rim of the World High School class of 93'...which makes her a Rimmer......Don't tell me you're also mountain trash.....when I'm there every other year for the holidays, we go see how the other half lives in Lake Arrowhead...

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Mantle?

SiO2 said:
I have read a few posts recently about stolen bikes. One guy even mentioned he had a bike stolen out of his garage while he was working on his truck. With so many desperate tweakers in the Valley I think it is only a matter time before one breaks into my central Phoenix house. I keep my bikes locked together with a good U-lock in my storage shed/shop. What are some other ideas to keep bikes safe in garages and storage sheds? I have been unsuccessful in convincing my wife that my ibis is a work of art that should be on display over the fireplace :D
Funny, my biz partner collects motorcycles, he just convinced his wife his MV Augusta would br ok on the hearth next to the fireplace??? Mine won't even allow my bike shoes in the house

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
chipolopolo said:
Funny, my biz partner collects motorcycles, he just convinced his wife his MV Augusta would br ok on the hearth next to the fireplace??? Mine won't even allow my bike shoes in the house
Funnierer- I had a guy who worked for me that had a Harley literally mounted on his living room wall. Dunno how he did it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I keep my bikes in the garage, but with a cable through them. i sunk a ankor bolt through the cement floor with a large steel bolt welded to it big enuf for the cable to go through. anyone who just leaves their bike unsecured is aiding the thief.

·
_____
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
canyondave said:
I keep my bikes in the garage, but with a cable through them. i sunk a ankor bolt through the cement floor with a large steel bolt welded to it big enuf for the cable to go through. anyone who just leaves their bike unsecured is aiding the thief.
I've thought of drilling an anchor into the floor too. But I also have a shop full of tools that can easily defeat any cable or chain (I have bolt cutters, hack saw, power grinder, etc). How much effort will a thief go to get a 5K+ bike?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
JohnniO said:
People could start by shutting their garages. Not all but most are stolen from open garage doors.
My garage was shut and I was sleeping when my bikes were stolen. The cop that came figured out how the thief got my bikes... they used a coathanger to reach through the top of the garage door and pull the rope with the T handle on the end to release the door... Cut that little handle of the end of the rope..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Tom is right. Cut those cords off. Years ago I helped a buddy repo a truck in the same way. Great story but...

Some garage door openers in older homes security codes can be pretty easy to crack. My last house had a dual plug in the ceiling. One of the plugs was switched to the garage lighting. I plugged the garage door opener in there and would turn it off. It could be inconvienent-but we did not park in there anyway.

Get a dog if you can. Yeah they can be a pain in the butt, shed and you have to love them. But they really help. I have two. One is 110 pound Marmaduke like mutt that is near silent, but the 45 pound mutt is the noise of the house.

Install a nut and bolt in the garage door and its track instead of using a lock. Locks are nice but I work in the garage alot when its closed and the thought of a fire and not having the key handy to my only escape is scary.

The side door on my garage goes to the back yard behind the gate. BAD!! It gives any crook a nice place to hide while they figure out how to get in. The solution? I bolted the door shut and stacked my wifes Christmas decoration tubs there (they were always in the way anyhow). I lose the convienence of the door but everytime I think of that I just look at my prides and joys hanging from the ceiling.

Get rental insurance and make sure they will cover your bikes for what they are worth. It may cost a little more but it gives me piece of mind knowing I will be covered (and at least get to buy new bikes!) Take photos of everything on your bike. Take update photos when you pop on something new. Keep all reciepts and serial numbers. Register them too with the manufacturer if you have not. It makes it easier to get paid or get your stuff back when found if you do. I haven't done this but should now that I have a phone that has a better screen- but I read about a guy who had taken a detailed pic of the serial number on the bike and had it for his records. When it was stolen he figured it was local, downloaded the pic to his phone and went about his business. Three months later he saw the bike in a local pawn shop. He called the cops, they arrived and he was able to show them the pic from his phone with the serial number, he recieved his property instantly because he was able to show proof of owner ship. (This just shows us here not to rely on the cops and pawn brokers to filter out all the stolen stuff. Pawns are required to sit on a item for 90 days while it is deemed "clean" for sale).

And JRock is heading in the right direction. If we combat the problem not the end result, eventually we will be more sucessful.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
JohnniO said:
People could start by shutting their garages. Not all but most are stolen from open garage doors.
My garage was shut and I was sleeping when my bikes were stolen. The cop that came figured out how the thief got my bikes... they used a coathanger to reach through the top of the garage door and pull the rope with the T handle on the end to release the door... Cut that little handle of the end of the rope..

·
_____
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cstem said:

Take photos of everything on your bike. Take update photos when you pop on something new.
Good idea. I should probably take pictures of everything else I have too.

A year an half ago my house was broken into through a kitchen window. The thief did not take my bike (it was in my spare bedroom) bed she did take a laptop, cell phone camera etc. and a large camelback to carry her loot. Before she left she decided she was thirsty and helped herself to a glass of water. The police lifted prints off the glass. 6 months ago the courts contacted saying the police had caught a girl who matched the prints. I pressed charges. She admitted to being in my house but does not remember stealing anything because she was high on meth (all of this is from court records). Last week she was sentenced to six and half years for the robbery because she had previous offenses :thumbsup:

My point is that keeping a bike inside your house does not mean that it is safe. I got lucky in that tweakergirl was not interested in my bike (she was probably to high to ride), but she could have just as easily taken my bike too. Having a second layer of protection (like a U lock) will probably deter most thieves.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
SiO2 said:
WTF does somebody who lives in Phoenix need a fireplace for?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.