Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Gotta get back down there. Fell in love with Eureka Springs when came through there about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nebo is the truth! I've ridden it once, and I didn't really do the clockwise descent justice, though we sessioned some stuff when we climbed it after doubling back and doing the CCW descent.

Anyway, that's a pretty epic spot. Can't wait to see what else they can build out there. It really needs a big swimming hole at the "bottom" rock garden section, as people really need to be somehow encouraged to linger and soak up that area. It's kind of amazing.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I keep thinking about how awesome the trails are in Arkansas. I live outside of Nashville and for a city that has done so well economically in the past decade it's sad how little effort has gone into trail building here. There's plenty of riders and money here but the few trails they've recently built have been very lackluster. I keep thinking about how well built everything is in Bentonville and can't figure out why Nashville can't build at least a few similar trails. I know space is more limited but just 20 miles of NW Arkansas quality trails would be a massive step forward.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Wish they would have had all these nice trails when I was growing up there. Do these trails have a lot of traffic?
I rode Kessler, Fitzgerald, Lake Ft Smith, and Upper Buffalo Headwaters last week and saw a grand total of three other bikes, and they were all at Fitzgerald! Three of those rides were during the week and UBH was on Saturday. More crowded on wknds obviously but we have so many trails that everyone is spread out pretty good. These are the good times in Arkansas for sure. Can't wait til Devils Den trail is finished. The original trail there is closed btw due to flood damage.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Trails never really feel crowded, but Slaughter Pen and Coler can feel busy, especially on weekends. Bentonville is definitely starting to feel like a bike town. Just got back from a trip out West to several bike towns, and I feel like Bentonville had a similar number of bikes on cars and cruising the streets. Of course, the trails are IN Bentonville, so you have a lot of people cruising around directly in town vs. driving out to more remote trailheads.

Right now I really enjoy seeing all the people, because it makes the transformation feel so real. It's awesome going riding and meeting people from out of state every time I'm up at Coler or Slaughter Pen. It's also fun going riding and running into other friends and people you know while on the trails. Right now this is all really fun and enjoyable, but I also recognize that this can become problematic and annoying at a certain point when you're having to wait in line to drop in on a trail.

If you're outside of the immediate Bentonville area and in some of the lesser known trail systems (Fitzgerald excluded), then you hardly see anyone.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How are all these miles of trail being built? Is someone, Walton family, building on private land and gifting it or tax dollars going into all these miles?

I'm glad there is all this going on but want to know how other locations can piggyback off the northwest Arkansas model if possible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Walton’s are definitely helping fund a lot of the trails. Quite a bit of new trails are on state park land and funded by the state. And then there are several trails being built in cities funded by generous donors on city owned land. And there’s yet more trails being built on national forest land. Arkansas is blessed with huge parcels of national forest. And it’s not just north Arkansas. It’s happening all over the state

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
1 - 20 of 109 Posts