Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a drop-off onto flat (5 foot) on a Kona Stab, I broke my ankle. I think I landed it but seemed to have done something to snap the bone just above the ankle. I apologize if this question was answered previously, but does anybody know what may have caused this ? If so, how do I prevent this in the future ?

Sometimes I land these quite comfortably and with no pain, but at times the ankle flares... Do I have my foot too forward on the pedal ? Maybe I just need to use my knees more to absorb the shock...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
answers

BigDog said:
After doing a drop-off onto flat (5 foot) on a Kona Stab, I broke my ankle. I think I landed it but seemed to have done something to snap the bone just above the ankle. I apologize if this question was answered previously, but does anybody know what may have caused this ?
A: Your mass, accelerating toward the center of the earth at 32' per second squared, then stopping abruptly.

If so, how do I prevent this in the future ?
A: Ride your bike instead of trying to flying with it. If you want to fly close to the ground, join the Marines, they're the masters of close air support.

Sometimes I land these quite comfortably and with no pain, but at times the ankle flares...

Sometimes when I'm real drunk I drive in the left lane, quite comfortably and with no pain. Other times there are cars in the lane and I hit them and die. When you take big risks, sometimes your number just comes up.

Do I have my foot too forward on the pedal ? Maybe I just need to use my knees more to absorb the shock...
Yeah your knees would like that. Play Pop the Patella.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe your foot was just a tiny bit off the side of he pedal, so when you came down your foot tilted out...it's making my ankle hurt just to think about it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
BigDog said:
After doing a drop-off onto flat (5 foot) on a Kona Stab, I broke my ankle. I think I landed it but seemed to have done something to snap the bone just above the ankle. I apologize if this question was answered previously, but does anybody know what may have caused this ? If so, how do I prevent this in the future ?

Sometimes I land these quite comfortably and with no pain, but at times the ankle flares... Do I have my foot too forward on the pedal ? Maybe I just need to use my knees more to absorb the shock...
jensonusa.com sells ankle guards made by Fox. I've never used them, but am considering getting a pair to protect my ankles when I bike during running season (all year round). Good luck with healing your ankle. Hope you're biking again soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
NO NO NO!!!
Those Fox dealies are ankle guards. They prevent your ankle from getting scraped if you knock it on the chainstays. They offer no support for prevention of the type of injury BigDog sustained. What you should look at is the ASO ankle brace

http://www.supports4u.com/aso.htm

if you are intraweb savvy you can probably find them for cheaper. I sistained two severeley sprained ankles and I wear a pair now whenever I play sports.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
You should ride on the road until your ankle

BigDog said:

is 110% better and I am no expert on big drops but I do get some accident smooth big air once in awhile XC riding but I think smooth landings are key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts