Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some shots of what it was like yesterday during the Stoopid 50 mile race...it was SO MUCH ROCK...going up and going down, ALL DAY...30% fire roads, and 70% single track, of the 70% probably 90-95% was on rocks and/or roots...true east coast racing...did okay beat my last 50 mile time by alot...last year 8:04 this year 6:56:58...loved it!!!

The views were spectacular

My van - sleep in comfort now days

And a beautiful night to sleep!

They provided a great pasta dinner, beer, and an outdoor movie of "Seasons",
Then breakfast of pancakes....and when the race was over, Veggie burgers, beans and pasta...top notch time..

Ed

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luv the VW!!!! No Balance, the 70% of single track was almost ALL rocky...I bet only about 1 mile total of the single track was smooth...by the end of the race you were dumped out onto the road heading back to the start finish which was about 3 miles...I felt SUCH relief...it took at least a mile to stop shaking from all the previous miles of rock bouncing...my hands and arms were extremely tired (and this morning cramped)...

The race was in the Roth Rock State Park between Lewiston and State College, PA...there are 5 state parks that join together there...they are having a 101 race there end of July...couldn't imagine doing 100 miles of that stuff...they say it is actually the opposite, 30% single track, and 70% double and fire roads....

Very similar to the hills of WVa....

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
I love that part of Central PA, I went to Bucknell and used to ride out there a lot. Also, RB Winter has some great riding too... And great XC Skiing in the winter.
Those courses are so gnarly though. I think that West Coast racers have lungs and legs from all the vertical, and the east coasters have insane tech skills for racing those courses and general rides on slick wet roots and rocks.
Ahhhh, to have both, that's Euro.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did my first 50 miler last year at RB Winter...called the "Rocktober"...now that was a ROCKY race....and Fritz, those 13 races in Cali certainly helped my lungs & legs...haven't felt like I lost much tech skill either...so far it's all come together well...this weekends race on SS will really let me know...if you've heard of it, it's at Neshimeny, north of Philadelphia...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iron29 you must be Jeff...?? Yep, very fun race...Absolutely will race again next year...looking forward to Gods Country and 7 Springs 24 later this summer...but of course next is Marysville Stage Race...you going? Have you done it before? It is one of the best weekend stages...especially Friday night TT...
Ed

·
In Bum Fcuk Egypt
73 Posts
Ed, was looking at God's Country. Sounds like fun! Might try and hit that one, will have to see how the schedule works out. Are you doing the SM 100? I'm seriously considering that. PM me if you want to go riding sometime.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not ready for a 100 miler yet...while in CA this past spring I did the Coolest 24/8 and was a solo 8 hr. competitor on SS finished in 7:26 with 6 laps 66 miles, 4th place...maybe next year for a 100 miler...I live in Baltimore and ride alot at Patapsco (backyard)...doing the poker run this weekend at Fair Hill (tomorrow)...I'm on the Bike Line Team...maybe catch ya there..
Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.