Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a set of hope xc's on mavic x3.1s--I think they're the same rim as the XM 819s. These are on my 5Spot. I do roughly 5-6' drops to smooth transitions. I am 6' 190lbs. Are these wheels as strong as Crossmax Xls? I am trying to talk myself out of buying Crossmaxs.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I currently have a set of hope xc's on mavic x3.1s--I think they're the same rim as the XM 819s. These are on my 5Spot. I do roughly 5-6' drops to smooth transitions. I am 6' 190lbs. Are these wheels as strong as Crossmax Xls? I am trying to talk myself out of buying Crossmaxs.
The Crossmax XL wouldn't not be any stronger than what you already have, it would basically be a lateral move in strenth for a lot of $$. Waste of money, use the cash for something else. If you really want to upgrade the wheels then spend the money on Kings or Hadleys, which are far superior to the Crossmax.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If anything I think that would be a downgrade in strength. The X3.1/819 rim is essentially the same rim as the Crossmax XL but with 32 spokes instead of 24. I would think the standard stainless steel spokes are more durable over all than the weird alloy spokes on the XL's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.