Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably a little late now, but sign up for the Facebook group "Denver Stolen Bikes" and post it... It's a pretty eye opening thread. You'll never want your bike out of your sight again after you see some of the posts...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a little late now, but sign up for the Facebook group "Denver Stolen Bikes" and post it... It's a pretty eye opening thread. You'll never want your bike out of your sight again after you see some of the posts...
Thanks, I'm not on FB. It's been over a week, it could be at one of the dozens of pawn shops in the Denver area, out of state, who knows what those thieves do with the bikes they rip off. It hasn't showed up on craigslist, ebay (I doubt it would) or offerup yet either.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks, I'm not on FB. It's been over a week, it could be at one of the dozens of pawn shops in the Denver area, out of state, who knows what those thieves do with the bikes they rip off. It hasn't showed up on craigslist, ebay (I doubt it would) or offerup yet either.
Look on craigslist in other cities. There are organized bike theft rings now. They steal bikes in one city and sell them in another. Sometimes, even in another country.

As you probably discovered by now, the police don't care, they have bigger issues to deal with. Here is what kills me: Colorado has committed to spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build bike infrastructure hoping it will put a dent in some of the traffic congestion. But who in hell wants to ride a bike to the store, or work (if you don't have a secure parking area), or a restaurant, or anywhere else, if your bike is likely to be ripped off? The police see it as a low value, low priority problem, meanwhile, we are pissing away money on infrastructure while people are afraid to ride for fear of having their bike stolen. They need to put priority on bike thefts.

Also, DON'T BUY BIKES FROM THIEVES. If you see a great deal on a bike on craigslist, and you go look at it and the person selling it is guy 5'11" and the bike is a women-specific XS road bike with 18 inches of seatpost showing, DON'T BUY THE FREAKING BIKE. I've walked on two deals because I was 99% certain the bike was stolen. I called the police both times and got no action, but at least I didn't feed the system.

I lock my bikes *inside* of my vehicle now, and cover them with blankets.

Colorado isn't even the worst for this. The Bay Area is insane, you literally cannot leave a decent bike unattended *anywhere*, or it will disappear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you haven't done so already, give a picture and the serial number to all local shops. I know it's a long shot that your bike would show up in a shop, but I know it can happen. Back in '95-'96, I think, I was working in a local shop and my dad's stolen Barracuda showed up in the shop about 6 months after it was stolen. Called the police, verified serial number on police report, and the police were there when the guy showed up to pick up the bike. He said he got it from a flea market. Regardless, my dad got his bike back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.