Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thieves broke into our garage last night and took our toys.

• 2013 Santa Cruz SOLO (AKA 5010), orange size M with 140mm Pike
• 2014 Juliana Furtado, red size S with 140mm Pike
• 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5, team colors size 50cm
• 2012 Ruby Comp, white size 44cm

Not expecting to locate them but just another all too frequent reminder to the community that sucky people are out there.

We live in north San Jose (near the Costco). Road bikes had a thick cable which was cut. Mountain bikes were connected by a heavy KryptoLok chain so they carried both out together.

They also took a Fox 32 Performance Step Cast fork for a 29'er and a Spank 27.5+ front wheel, not to mention a few other random items...but they definitely were after bike stuff.

Guess we’re not riding this weekend…

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wonder how they were aware they were there----suspect they were pro's given they were locked and takes a group to take 4 at once. I worry someone will drive by with the garage up and that is how they pick a target--
Hopefully you have pics and home owners insurance

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
Hopefully someone in the neighborhood has cameras and they can identify the vehicle. Box van or truck of some sort. Neighborhood watch is your best bet, these days it seems like every other house has a camera.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Totally sucks. Kinda looks like they knew the bikes were there. Begs the question, were they casing and stalking the house?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Totally sucks. Kinda looks like they knew the bikes were there. Begs the question, were they casing and stalking the house?
Heartbreaking. Sorry to hear. Hoping u get some good news.

Related question to above question: Did u often work on your bikes in your garage with your garage door open?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our complex has detached garages and break-ins are nothing new here. Many years ago there was a spreee when they were getting into multiple garages a night. I always felt that odds were that we'd eventually be hit. While the area we live in isn't bad, thieves go wherever they think the reward is. Maybe they saw us taking in/out bikes for a ride one day. Maybe they walked by and saw the bikes when the garage was open. While I rarely leave the door totally open when in the garage, I have left it 1'-2' open on occasion mostly because it gets hot in there. It's not a high traffic area as the street is a dead-end with garages facing each other. They went through the trouble of disassembling a 5th bike to steel the fork off it. They were prepared enough that 4 bikes weren't too many to handle.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I sat through jury selection a couple years ago, the judge asked the 50 odd jury candidates how many had been victims of crime. Almost everyone raised their hands, so they couldn't dismiss anyone based on that. One by one they went through and questioned the 50, "What crime were you a victim of?" Almost everyone had the same answer, they'd been burglarized. This was shocking at first, then realized this is a "job" for quite a few around here. Almost every neighborhood in the Bay Area get's hit. Even behind security gates.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Sad state how the US has evolved in last few decades. When I was a kid, if you accidentally left the garage open all night or left your bike on the front lawn, never would anything get stolen. Now there are tons of full time thieves with burglaries going through the roof.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Related question to above question: Did u often work on your bikes in your garage with your garage door open?
When you have to live your life thinking this way (I wonder if anyone can see what I've got in here???) you know it is time for a city/county relocation.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sad state how the US has evolved in last few decades. When I was a kid, if you accidentally left the garage open all night or left your bike on the front lawn, never would anything get stolen. Now there are tons of full time thieves with burglaries going through the roof.
Lol at the “good old days” despite property crimes decreasing since the 80s...

Sucks you got hit OP, I always feel like one day the bikes will gone from my garage too. I keep two locked with each other to prevent a quick drive-by grab but it sounds like these thieves targeted your property.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Sorry to OP..this sucks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully your insurance company does give you any hassle over this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Mtbr Founder
34,662 Posts
Call your insurance company. You may be riding this weekend indeed.
only if your friends loan you a bike. Insurance companies are not speedy. And then there's that whole decision matrix even if the funds become available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Insurance claim has been started but estimated time to settle is probably 3-4 weeks per the adjuster. Will be interesting to see what we can agree on for the replacement values since the current model build kits are not 1-1 with what we lost.

In the meantime the priority is to make the garage more secure even without bikes in it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts