Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stolen Bike Alert: Two of our bikes were stolen recently from Fort Wayne, Indiana. The first is a Pole Taival Hardtail and the second was a Surly Karate Monkey. Both bikes are distinctive looking, as the attached pics show. Please, if you see a posting or listing for either bike, message me. I have already reported the bikes as stolen. Reward offered. The Taival is especially going to be missed.
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

· squish, squish in da fish
2,177 Posts
Man that's rough and I feel for you. I hate these asshats. I'll keep eyes out on the boards for you and good luck. Will you be thinking of insurance after this heart wrenching event? Where ere they stolen from? If, they were from your house they might be covered through homeowners. Even if not, I'd be still looking at auto and HO as they might cover if you had a rider.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that's rough and I feel for you. I hate these asshats. I'll keep eyes out on the boards for you and good luck. Will you be thinking of insurance after this heart wrenching event? Where ere they stolen from? If, they were from your house they might be covered through homeowners. Even if not, I'd be still looking at auto and HO as they might cover if you had a rider.
I appreciate it. They were stolen off an enclosed porch behind our home in Fort Wayne, IN. The thieves had to walk around to the back of the house which is not visible from the street. I'm probably lucky that the bikes were the only thing they made off with. My full suspension was in pieces in my workshop or I'd have lost that one as well. I've been holding off on calling insurance. Going to have to break down and have that conversation this week. Not looking forward to it. The Pole was especially painful as I built that up just last year and it was my favorite.

· psycho cyclo addict
3,615 Posts
I appreciate it. They were stolen off an enclosed porch behind our home in Fort Wayne, IN. The thieves had to walk around to the back of the house which is not visible from the street. I'm probably lucky that the bikes were the only thing they made off with. My full suspension was in pieces in my workshop or I'd have lost that one as well. I've been holding off on calling insurance. Going to have to break down and have that conversation this week. Not looking forward to it. The Pole was especially painful as I built that up just last year and it was my favorite.
Sorry to hear it. One note of caution on the insurance front- think long and hard before filing a claim. I got jacked with a 40% increase on my yearly homeowners renewal after making my 1st insurance claim EVER!

The slimballs I spoke with (always on recorded lines) during the assessment and claim application process all assured my that my rates would not go up. Whelp, they sure as hell did and the new batch of slimeballs I'm speaking with keep saying that I was "misinformed"!

· CEO Product Failure
2,517 Posts
Sorry to hear it. One note of caution on the insurance front- think long and hard before filing a claim. I got jacked with a 40% increase on my yearly homeowners renewal after making my 1st insurance claim EVER!

The slimballs I spoke with (always on recorded lines) during the assessment and claim application process all assured my that my rates would not go up. Whelp, they sure as hell did and the new batch of slimeballs I'm speaking with keep saying that I was "misinformed"!
Consider yourself lucky. Allstate dropped me after 23 years. I made zero claims years 1-22.5. Then in the course of 4 months, a hail storm destroyed my roof resulting in a claim and I was robbed (car break in). I had no control over either situation and my 23 yr old policy was cancelled within 90 days of the 2nd claim. Ouch.

Keeping a look out for the stolen bikes in St. Louis.

· squish, squish in da fish
2,177 Posts
that's nuts about insurance, well not really i guess. years ago i had a neighbor kid teasing my dog through my fence and neighbor kid got his ass bit. insurance paid him out $90K and i never saw a increase or cancellation. at the time i've only had been with the insurance company for 5 yrs. i guess it might depend on location too. good luck brother

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I hesitated about a month before filing a claim, dreading that it was going to be a nightmare. Turns out it was fairly stress-free. My insurance just renewed and my rates didn't go up, but we'll see what it looks like in a year.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for keeping an eye out. I'm lucky. My full suspension bike was in pieces in my workshop when the others were taken, so I have a bike to ride this season and I can avoid making a hasty purchase. I'm still hoping that the Pole will turn up somewhere this spring but I'm realistic about the odds of ever seeing it or my Surly again. I never thought before about how much mental investment I had in something as simple as a bike, until it was gone. Bike thieves are definitely the worst.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.