Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I know including myself has bikes getting stolen or attempted to get stolen....I'm usually against big Government. But at this time I am feeling All bikes need to be licensed. But how? I mean here in Provo you can license your bike for 1 dollar. They put a sticker on it and call it a day. Woopi!!!...Then the bike is stolen and the thief pulls the sticker off. What good is that unless they check every bike everyone is riding. But they don't and won't. They need a way to do that.. The thieves are using everything. They are freezing and then cracking U-Locks, using bolt cutters on the thick cable locks. Last night someone used a grinder and cut my U-lock and stole my Haro mountain bike and kid trailer. Finding it will be slim. However we need a new system. The current untraceable one is not working. Lets face it....cops don't give a **** about bikes. And if they have to get out of their car to check licensing on a bike, they give a **** even less. It's time they get some help. I know it may add some cost but what about a RFID on every bike or something similar? Something that can identify a bike by electronic signal within 1-120 feet of a cop car. That way a cop in his car can pick up the signal and match the signal of the bike to a picture of the bike with its make, color, and model. Make everyone do it and there will be less problems of theft. I have now had 2 gary fishers stolen and now a Haro. I don't care if the fee is 25 bucks a year....the boiling point is over....change needs to be now!!! And if you are caught....FELONY BABY!!!!! You make your own bed!!!

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I put my bike inside. I sometimes leave it locked in my car but I never leave it chained up outside somewhere. I once had a Motorcycle stolen and I learned my lesson on trusting cables and their strength against the scum of society.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
well city folk think its a better idea to leave them locked outside, i dont understand that there thinkin

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...The Haro was the only one stolen from my house ever. It was locked to a steel beam in my car port. The Gary Fishers were stolen in broad daylight at the mall using U locks. What am I supposed to do....not ride them to places because they will get stolen? WTF?? Maybe you guys can look at them all day without riding....but I can't!!! The mall does not let you take the bike inside. So I have to rely on my locks. The wheel needs to be re-invented on this subject!!! We have newer means of technology....it's time for our bikes to join. If I need to, I am willing to pioneer this.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
My friend used to plug his bike into the mains (220v) ... at minimum, he would hear a scream in the middle of the night (never happened), at maximum, he'd kill the guy ... didn't really have any moral issue with doing that. Didn't have much fear of being sued either, would have been a great story to have to beat someone off your bike with a broomstick.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
bike licensing with local authorities does one handy thing: it records serial numbers in a secure location. cops in larger cities will tell you that inability to prove a bike is yours is the biggest reason you can't get it back. they stop and ask every bum or sketchy looking person who's riding a nice bike where they got it, and usually run the serial number. 99% of the time it comes back clean, despite a hobo being in possession of a $1500 bike.

·
...a wiggle theres a way
214 Posts
yeah we have been having a lot of issues with people stealing bikes up in research park, our security busted one punk who was coming in on a huffy and leaving with a much more expensive bike, the same thing is also happening at the U. the U of U police are being observant and have been able to return a few bikes to the original owner after they can provide them with details about the bike.
My team mates bike was stolen while he was in the bike shop two days ago, i think it would be very ideal to have a system similar to GM's onstar system, a basic tracking GPS that resides in the downtube, and gets powered by a battery that is recharged by a generator that runs off the bottom bracket (for stealth reason) maybe we can pioneer this system and get bikes back at a much higher recovery rate!

ill keep an eye out for yours as well i assume you checked ksl, craigslist and the like?

joe

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
ettore said:
My friend used to plug his bike into the mains (220v) ... at minimum, he would hear a scream in the middle of the night (never happened), at maximum, he'd kill the guy ... didn't really have any moral issue with doing that. Didn't have much fear of being sued either, would have been a great story to have to beat someone off your bike with a broomstick.
Funny in a morbid way. Aluminum is a good conductor.

Biohazard74 said:
Buy a cheap bike to commute. Id never ride my mountain bike anywhere and lock it up. NEVER !
Best advice you'll hear, probably. Youtube is full of videos on how to break locks, pick locks, etc. to the point that anyone who wants to steal a bike probably could easily do it. Don't leave a nice bike like a GF or a Haro in your carport, take it in the house/aptmt and find a spot for it.

Mountain bikes are for riding up and down mountains, not for cruising to the mall. Get an old roadie cycle - you'll probably have an easier go of moving thru traffic anyway.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wiggy said:
yeah we have been having a lot of issues with people stealing bikes up in research park, our security busted one punk who was coming in on a huffy and leaving with a much more expensive bike, the same thing is also happening at the U. the U of U police are being observant and have been able to return a few bikes to the original owner after they can provide them with details about the bike.
My team mates bike was stolen while he was in the bike shop two days ago, i think it would be very ideal to have a system similar to GM's onstar system, a basic tracking GPS that resides in the downtube, and gets powered by a battery that is recharged by a generator that runs off the bottom bracket (for stealth reason) maybe we can pioneer this system and get bikes back at a much higher recovery rate!

ill keep an eye out for yours as well i assume you checked ksl, craigslist and the like?

joe
Well we need a better system since locks obviously do not work. I'm game for a secur system. Especially commuters....As a matter of fact, I think the Mayor of Salt Lake got his stolen on bike to work day. Mayor said he used a 45 dollar lock. I mean...good god!!....this is out of control. I have two nephews in 2 different cities last week had them stolen. My Boy's last month, and my cousin's 3 weeks ago in Sandy. I'd really like to help people combat this. Imagine a system of bikes to where thieves would not touch it because they know they there would be a chance to be arrested immediately. I thought of the same thing on the tube...have it inserted in a way to where they cannot get it out. Or even the hubs.

You don't have to look for the bike anymore. I got it back this morning....Police said the crack user stabbed a person in the neck last night. But here is the sad part....he stole it from the original thief. He beat up a mexican riding down his street. So police are going after him today since he lives 3 houses down. Police said I was lucky. They never recover these things. However the mexican thief had already been identified as of yesterday. Police said he did try pawning it. But the shop didn't take it because they knew he didn't own it. So he called the police and gave them the moron's info.

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
I never leave a 'nice' bike outside.
My roady is old enough not to worry, my DJ bike is stealthy, so I'll ride them to school or work...
(and lock them, of course, though never for more than a couple hours)
but my prophet (which is admittedly, not even that nice) is either under me, in my kitchen, or in the back of my truck (when transitioning from trail to kitchen or vice versa)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Take some responsibility, the government can't and shouldn't do everything for you. If all of the registration and RFID stuff that you are talking about was completely voluntary, I wouldn't have any problem with it, but don't try to force it on everyone else. What we need is some justice system reforms so that criminals actually get a sentence that fits the crime. If prison or other forms of sentence were treated as a deterrent or punishment, you would see a lot less crime. I have never looked into the statistics, but I bet most bike thieves that actually get caught already have a list of prior offenses. The sentence should be bad enough for a convict to never want to commit another crime again.

FWIW, It isn't enough just to use good locks, you need to pay attention to what you are locking your bike to as well as where. If a thief can take apart the rack or whatever your bike is locked to easier than cutting your lock, they will just worry about the locks later at home or whatever. If a thief thinks that he won't be seen cutting your lock as opposed to the guy that locked his bike up where everyone can see it, guess which bike is getting stolen first.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bbrins said:
Take some responsibility, the government can't and shouldn't do everything for you. If all of the registration and RFID stuff that you are talking about was completely voluntary, I wouldn't have any problem with it, but don't try to force it on everyone else. What we need is some justice system reforms so that criminals actually get a sentence that fits the crime. If prison or other forms of sentence were treated as a deterrent or punishment, you would see a lot less crime. I have never looked into the statistics, but I bet most bike thieves that actually get caught already have a list of prior offenses. The sentence should be bad enough for a convict to never want to commit another crime again.

FWIW, It isn't enough just to use good locks, you need to pay attention to what you are locking your bike to as well as where. If a thief can take apart the rack or whatever your bike is locked to easier than cutting your lock, they will just worry about the locks later at home or whatever. If a thief thinks that he won't be seen cutting your lock as opposed to the guy that locked his bike up where everyone can see it, guess which bike is getting stolen first.
I do use good public places and am careful where I lock them up. I just don't want to worry anymore. But I agree on the punishment issue. Stealing a bike should be treated like grand theft auto. Same with other crimes...Like tagging...should be a felony....Utah will be adopting that this next year....however the minorities who do it are calling foul...claiming it is culture and are saying it is a "hate" law....F|_|CK'EM!!!! Some say punishment should fit the crime....For example the 2 kids in Salt Lake who got drunk at the ages of 17 and 18 and were caught drunk. They said they knew it was illegal and knew the punishment if caught....but they belittled the law in their heads and now they can't drive for 3 years....excessive? NOT IN THE LEAST!!!!! They made their bed!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The people at the lbs told me a week back that a few people have actually started fitting a mini GPS device called the GPS tracking key (you can find it on www.landairsea.com) on their bikes right in their seat tubes with a little cloth so that it doesn't rattle around (If you do this DON'T use styrofoam since that breaks apart and makes a mess). If it gets stolen you can track it and even see where it is on Google Earth.
All they have to do is remember to charge it. The only downside to this method is that buying a mini GPS unit is costly. You can buy a used one ebay right now for about 60 dollars. If this is all to expensive i've heard of being able to buy disposable cellphones with GPS devices in them. Maybe you could purchase one of these and put it in your seat tube with a bit of padding and theoretically this should work just as well.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shark said:
unfortunately the cops have bigger things to worry about than our bicycles....
sad but true.

Best to keep your good bike inside, & buy a POS looking bike for a commuter.
lol....I once knew a guy who put surran wrap on his frame and then he duct taped the thing to make it look terrible.....he was right.....looked like ****....no one wanted it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.