Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here's the uncommon part... Stolen bicycle recovered!

Last June 1st, my girlfriend and I were getting ready to ride our bikes downtown, to go to work. We'd just moved to this new "city" (Salem, OR... don't get me started...)the week before. I get the bikes out of the shop where they remain locked at all times, lean them by the front door, we sit just inside putting on our shoes, come out, her bike is gone! Took less than two minutes. The driveway curves up from the street about 100' away and the front door is invisible to passersby, so the real creepy part is the kid or guy or whomever must have been on our property watching because there's no way somebody could just be walking by and have seen it. Anyway, I immediately cruise the neighborhood trying to track the suspect down, no luck.

So, jump ahead to last Friday, Jan 25 or so. My buddy is driving down the road when he sees out of the corner of his eye, a guy on a white full suspension bike. He may have only seen the bike once or twice, but something made him turn around and track the guy down. He catches up to him after several blocks and stops when the crackhead stops at an intersection. My friend rolls down the window and says "that's a pretty nice bike, where'd you get it?" The guy on the bike gets all sketchy and gets off the bike and says " Well, obviously it's not mine, so you can have it back..", he gets off and hands it over. He obviously didn't want any problems, since he also had his young child on the bike with him. He goes on to say that he found it a few weeks back along a creek by a bridge, as if it had been tossed over the side.

So, I now have my girlfriends bike back. The funny thing is, it's tuned up perfectly! There was even one of those stupid little seat packs that had a set of flashing lights in it. It looks as if it had been in storage the entire time! Not a scratch or smudge of dirt on it! The REAL WEIRD thing is, that I had a dream the night before that the same friend had found it right where we had left it, but it had been grown over by ivy. But I'm not into all that dream nonsense, so I'll just leave it to coincidence...

Anyway, long story short, if you lose a bike to thievery, don't give up hope, it just may return one day! Keep an eye out!

Attachments

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
That is great that you got it back. I kindof wonder about the guy though. It just doesn't sound like a "crackhead" type. I live in a neighborhood with too many who are and I've never seen anyone care about anything beyond their next fix not to mention their own kids. It's sad really. From the condition of the bike alone, I would suspect the rider bought it off the original thief. He probably knew it was stolen but didn't care. Probably didn't pay very much either, thus the easy "give up."

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
mattsavage said:
The REAL WEIRD thing is, that I had a dream the night before that the same friend had found it right where we had left it, but it had been grown over by ivy. But I'm not into all that dream nonsense, so I'll just leave it to coincidence...
The wierd thing about dreams is, if you dream something and believe you're really there (or it really happened), only to wake up and realize it was only a dream...

...then when you *think* you've dreamt something (or remember something from a dream), did you really dream it? Or is you mind playing tricks, causing you to think you dreamt it?

Wow, congrats on getting the bike back. What an unlikely story. You owe your buddy big time!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Excellent story!

You and your girlfriend mus be grinning from ear to ear! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
mattsavage said:
Now here's the uncommon part... Stolen bicycle recovered!

Last June 1st, my girlfriend and I were getting ready to ride our bikes downtown, to go to work. We'd just moved to this new "city" (Salem, OR... don't get me started...)the week before. I get the bikes out of the shop where they remain locked at all times, lean them by the front door, we sit just inside putting on our shoes, come out, her bike is gone! Took less than two minutes. The driveway curves up from the street about 100' away and the front door is invisible to passersby, so the real creepy part is the kid or guy or whomever must have been on our property watching because there's no way somebody could just be walking by and have seen it. Anyway, I immediately cruise the neighborhood trying to track the suspect down, no luck.

So, jump ahead to last Friday, Jan 25 or so. My buddy is driving down the road when he sees out of the corner of his eye, a guy on a white full suspension bike. He may have only seen the bike once or twice, but something made him turn around and track the guy down. He catches up to him after several blocks and stops when the crackhead stops at an intersection. My friend rolls down the window and says "that's a pretty nice bike, where'd you get it?" The guy on the bike gets all sketchy and gets off the bike and says " Well, obviously it's not mine, so you can have it back..", he gets off and hands it over. He obviously didn't want any problems, since he also had his young child on the bike with him. He goes on to say that he found it a few weeks back along a creek by a bridge, as if it had been tossed over the side.

So, I now have my girlfriends bike back. The funny thing is, it's tuned up perfectly! There was even one of those stupid little seat packs that had a set of flashing lights in it. It looks as if it had been in storage the entire time! Not a scratch or smudge of dirt on it! The REAL WEIRD thing is, that I had a dream the night before that the same friend had found it right where we had left it, but it had been grown over by ivy. But I'm not into all that dream nonsense, so I'll just leave it to coincidence...

Anyway, long story short, if you lose a bike to thievery, don't give up hope, it just may return one day! Keep an eye out!
glad to hear a good ending to the story. Where I ride every so often I find a bike that looks like it may have been stolen. (I am in Law enforcement, so I tend to look tings over to much) They are always stripped to the metal or repainted w/spray paint. Anyway congrats.

Oh yeah, while it is a nice bike I like the dog more. Sorry.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Every time i get a new bike i put one of my business cards inside the seat tube. i had a bike stolen a few years ago and a few weeks later we were driving by the police station and the guy was just sitting on the railroad tracks next to the station with the bike right next to him. so we jumped out of the car went into the station and came out with an officer and the officer asked if i had any proof it was my bike so i told him to take out the seat tube where i always keep one of my buisness cards rolled up inside, thus proving it was my bike!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
smalbikpro said:
Every time i get a new bike i put one of my business cards inside the seat tube. i had a bike stolen a few years ago and a few weeks later we were driving by the police station and the guy was just sitting on the railroad tracks next to the station with the bike right next to him. so we jumped out of the car went into the station and came out with an officer and the officer asked if i had any proof it was my bike so i told him to take out the seat tube where i always keep one of my buisness cards rolled up inside, thus proving it was my bike!
I have all the serial #s of my bikes written inside my wallet. The business card is also a good idea. I've also known people to engrave somthing like their birthdate into their frame to ID it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would suspect the rider bought it off the original thief. He probably knew it was stolen but didn't care. Probably didn't pay very much either, thus the easy "give up."
Agreed, I doubt that guy was the original thief.

Most bike theives steal bikes either to resell them as soon as possible, or for a quick joyride and then dump them, it's rare for a thief to steal a bike and then keep it for himself for a long time, unless he's not from the area and so knows he has no chance of bumping into the original owner.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Good luck from somewhere man... Thats pretty cool you got it back! Every time I ride past a group a sketchy people that look at my bike like it's money I get a little nervous.. Sure I'll just ride away faster than they can run..

I have all my serials and inside the headtube on the steerer I have my name and number.. I hope my bike is never stolen but I've covered everything I can if it does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.