Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my Nomad was stolen in Santa Cruz. I had it about 15 feet from me while I was eating lunch after a ride staring at it nearly the entire time. I looked down for maybe ten seconds and when I looked up it was gone. Shame on me for not locking it but it still sucks.

If anyone happens to see a blue/pink Miami Vice Nomad 3 for sale that matches it please drop me a line. The only differences from the picture below is the mashguard is off and the grips are blue.

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

It has one of these goofy seats which is probably the most distinguishing characteristic:

Plastic

Thanks in advance. Lock your bikes!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
A bike stolen in Santa Cruz?!?

And to think I was neg-repped for harping on it several times in one thread.

And it wasn't locked? No sympathy here. Well, maybe a little.

Good luck finding it.

Pink Petal Flowering plant Art Artwork

·
CEO Product Failure
2,075 Posts
Man that sucks.

A couple things:

1. Regarding locks, not every (post) ride stop can be planned and, even then, locks are frequently forgotten. For this reason, all of my bikes I have a couple 1" thick cuts of old inner tubes on my handlebars. When an impromptu stop occurs, I stretch the inner tube around the brake levers and handlebar. If a thief tries a quick get away, the wheels are locked up.

2. Not sure if the OP has insurance; however, if you plan to file the loss under your home owners or renters policy, BE WARNED. 99.9% of all insurance companies have 2 strikes and you're out clause. Meaning, if you have 2 claims within 24-36 mos of each other, the insurance companies drop you and deem you uninsurable. Leaving your only option for high-risk insurance. I learned this the hard way when we filed a hail damage claim ($17k) on our home and then had our vehicle broken into ($7K). Contents of the vehicle were covered by homeowners, not automotive. The insurance companies all share a claims database, so simply switching from one company to another won't suffice.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
...all of my bikes I have a couple 1" thick cuts of old inner tubes on my handlebars. When an impromptu stop occurs, I stretch the inner tube around the brake levers and handlebar. If a thief tries a quick get away, the wheels are locked up.
I'm gonna try that, thanks! There's also the old roadie trick of clipping your helmet onto a wheel.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Has anyone used one that works? I tried Track'r Pixel. Junk. Supposed to have 100 foot range. More like 15 feet. And it doesn't update when you get within range.

One of my friends got Tile Pro. He says it seems to work well so far.
I have a Tile in my wallet, on my keys, and the app on my phone. It was a gift that I would not have bought myself but it saves my ass on the regular. I don't think it's robust enough for this application. There must be something suitable but would come at a cost. SC should really provide that on their 8k bikes as RBoardman and Train Wreck mentioned above.

The thing about Tile is that to leverage its advanced powers, you need to pay a 2.50 monthly subscription. For example it will tell you when you leave a given location without all linked devices (never leave home w/o yer wallet, etc.). It also creates an ad-hoc network with other Tiles to find your stuff when it's out of direct contact. There are apparently 18,000 or so other Tiles in my general vicinity at the moment. No help to the OP, I'm afraid - just sayin stuff to keep the advertising dollars flowing in here....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.