Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you might have guessed by my title, my bike was stolen the night of the 23rd.

Because I don't have alot of storage space in my apartment, my trail bike stays cable locked in the back of my truck (laying flat, with the front tire off, inside the canopy). Apparently some jerk thought they needed a X-mas present more than they thought I needed my bike, and broke into the truck and cut the cable.

Now it wasn't the greatest bike ever, but it was mine and I liked it. If anyone sees a black Weyless XP with lock on grips, Shimano 959 pedals, a chrome power tools stem, and Juicy 5 brakes around Denver please feel free to beat the crap outta that person; or at least confront them on where they got it. Tomorrow will bring a call to the police and insurance company. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately for me, this is not the first time I've been robbed since moving to Denver 2 years ago. My apartment was burglarized 3 months after moving here, I lost around 3 grand worth of electronics, computers and camera gear. I didn't have insurance at the time and as a result got it. Now this.

The thing is I really like Denver, and am happy living here, I just didn't realize the crime rate sucked so much. Sorry for the sob story, it just sucks getting your stuff stolen... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
billystack said:
So as you might have guessed by my title, my bike was stolen the night of the 23rd.

Because I don't have alot of storage space in my apartment, my trail bike stays cable locked in the back of my truck (laying flat, with the front tire off, inside the canopy). Apparently some jerk thought they needed a X-mas present more than they thought I needed my bike, and broke into the truck and cut the cable.

Now it wasn't the greatest bike ever, but it was mine and I liked it. If anyone sees a black Weyless XP with lock on grips, Shimano 959 pedals, a chrome power tools stem, and Juicy 5 brakes around Denver please feel free to beat the crap outta that person; or at least confront them on where they got it. Tomorrow will bring a call to the police and insurance company. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately for me, this is not the first time I've been robbed since moving to Denver 2 years ago. My apartment was burglarized 3 months after moving here, I lost around 3 grand worth of electronics, computers and camera gear. I didn't have insurance at the time and as a result got it. Now this.

The thing is I really like Denver, and am happy living here, I just didn't realize the crime rate sucked so much. Sorry for the sob story, it just sucks getting your stuff stolen... :(
sucks man, my eyes are pealed and my guns are drawn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
sorry to hear that, what a christmas. I live up in the mtns. but ride denver alot in the winter and spring. we had our truck broken into at the parking area near chatfield res last year. the worst part was they didnt really even get anything of value(to them). just alot of personal stuff, clothes, bags and my wifes training log for the past year. that actually was the one thing that was missed the most and to think that it just ended up in a dumpster somewhere. anyway...dont let it get you down to much denver is still a nice place to live. bad things may happen to good people but, even worse things happen to bad people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
billystack said:
So as you might have guessed by my title, my bike was stolen the night of the 23rd.

Because I don't have alot of storage space in my apartment, my trail bike stays cable locked in the back of my truck (laying flat, with the front tire off, inside the canopy). Apparently some jerk thought they needed a X-mas present more than they thought I needed my bike, and broke into the truck and cut the cable.

Now it wasn't the greatest bike ever, but it was mine and I liked it. If anyone sees a black Weyless XP with lock on grips, Shimano 959 pedals, a chrome power tools stem, and Juicy 5 brakes around Denver please feel free to beat the crap outta that person; or at least confront them on where they got it. Tomorrow will bring a call to the police and insurance company. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately for me, this is not the first time I've been robbed since moving to Denver 2 years ago. My apartment was burglarized 3 months after moving here, I lost around 3 grand worth of electronics, computers and camera gear. I didn't have insurance at the time and as a result got it. Now this.

The thing is I really like Denver, and am happy living here, I just didn't realize the crime rate sucked so much. Sorry for the sob story, it just sucks getting your stuff stolen... :(
Man, thats weak as hell. I hope the insurance company comes through for you, very quickly. Maybe you'll end up with a better ride at the end of it all. (Sometimes it works that way with Ins.)

I'm guessing that you live close to Downtown? I lived at Emerson and Ellsworth for a few years, and had my Jeep broken into several times. What a pain in the a$$. I had my stereo stolen, so i got an alarm installed. Then, every morning i'd come out, it had been set off at least once. Then, they got sick of breaking in and not having anything worth stealing, so they just sliced my soft top in half. Eventually, i had to pony up and buy a fricken garage spot. That sucked. I've since moved. I can honestly say that i don't miss living close to Downtown one single iota.

I wish i could say otherwise, but car theft in and around Denver is pretty bad. Especially at the trailheads, too. I literally leave NOTHING in my car when i go riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
billystack said:
So as you might have guessed by my title, my bike was stolen the night of the 23rd.

Because I don't have alot of storage space in my apartment, my trail bike stays cable locked in the back of my truck (laying flat, with the front tire off, inside the canopy). Apparently some jerk thought they needed a X-mas present more than they thought I needed my bike, and broke into the truck and cut the cable.

Now it wasn't the greatest bike ever, but it was mine and I liked it. If anyone sees a black Weyless XP with lock on grips, Shimano 959 pedals, a chrome power tools stem, and Juicy 5 brakes around Denver please feel free to beat the crap outta that person; or at least confront them on where they got it. Tomorrow will bring a call to the police and insurance company. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately for me, this is not the first time I've been robbed since moving to Denver 2 years ago. My apartment was burglarized 3 months after moving here, I lost around 3 grand worth of electronics, computers and camera gear. I didn't have insurance at the time and as a result got it. Now this.

The thing is I really like Denver, and am happy living here, I just didn't realize the crime rate sucked so much. Sorry for the sob story, it just sucks getting your stuff stolen... :(
Did you have the serial number for your bike and did you report it stolen? I drive around Denver quite a bit and I will also keep an eye out. I don't care if the bike wasn't the greatest. It didn't belong to the Mordiot (moronic idiot) that took it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Web reporting.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Property crime in Denver is a serious problem, from burglary to auto theft, theft from motor vehicles etc... The best advice is to leave nothing in your car that is of any value. A recent problem is a thief breaking into your car while parked at work. The shi7head grabs your garage door opener from the visor and your address from the registration you carry in the glovebox. Guess what happens next, burglary. I will keep my eyes open for your ride. Denver has an online reporting website:

www.denvergov.org/policereport

It is much easier than going into a station for the report since they will not dispatch a police car to your location for that kind of report.

Denver also has a bicycle theft detective. His number is 303-295-4390. If your bike is recovered or found abandoned in Denver it will end up there. Give him a call and see if it is there. As you can see, I have also been a victim of bike theft and although things worked out for me in the end, I still hope the turd riding my bike is hit by one of the numerous unlicensed, non-insured drivers in this city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Dude,

I am REALLY sorry. I had a really nice bike stolen right out from under my nose in early November, so I feel your pain. Here is what I learned from that incident.

1. Don't plan on getting your bike back. Bike thefts are about as important to cops as the turd residue on the soles of their shoes. I would still file a report, etc. and go through all the hoops just in case though. You never know.

2. Cruise Craiglsist, local pawn shops, and notify local bike stores of your bike theft so that they can keep an eye out for a douchebag coming in to sell it.

3. Here's the good news - you have homeowner's insurance!! Stay on your insurance company's ass and more than likely, you will score a fat check and be able to put together a sweet new build. That is what happened to me. I never got my bike back, but I filed the claim with my insurance immediately and stayed on them throughout the whole process. Since I had a custom bike I had built up over the summer bit by bit (most of us don't have store-bought stock bikes), I didn't have one big receipt to fax my insurance company. So I got online and found out what the MSRP was on every single effing part on my bike, printed out the pages, attached them to the list, and had a bike shop or two sign a letter verifying that the total was the actual replacement cost for my bike (bought a couple things from them as payback). Within a week, I got a fatty check for well over what I paid for my bike and was able to piece together two new bikes out of it. The key is documentation and staying on them.

(I got these tips from people on this board and it worked).

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you in the end. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes peeled for that bike.

Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
already got the check

So thanks for all the encouragement and advice....things are looking up :) I did receive a call from the Den bike theft Detective, who was super cool and nice to talk to. However, I don't expect to get the bike back though...

My insurance also stepped up to the plate and I've already received a check for a reasonable amount to replace the bike. I say resonable because they did their homework and found prices on line for the parts I had upgraded and as a result I got more than what I paid for the bike.

So here's the fun part: I'll be building up a Turner 6-pack frame up to replace the bike. I'm pretty stoked about it and hopefully parts will start arriving in the next day or two. I'm going to be into this bike quite a bit beyond what I got as a replacement check, but I think that this is probably the only opportunity I'll have to build a $3500+ bike for around a grand. So all in all I think its going to work out pretty good.

I'll post pics when I get it built up :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
billystack said:
So thanks for all the encouragement and advice....things are looking up :) I did receive a call from the Den bike theft Detective, who was super cool and nice to talk to. However, I don't expect to get the bike back though...

My insurance also stepped up to the plate and I've already received a check for a reasonable amount to replace the bike. I say resonable because they did their homework and found prices on line for the parts I had upgraded and as a result I got more than what I paid for the bike.

So here's the fun part: I'll be building up a Turner 6-pack frame up to replace the bike. I'm pretty stoked about it and hopefully parts will start arriving in the next day or two. I'm going to be into this bike quite a bit beyond what I got as a replacement check, but I think that this is probably the only opportunity I'll have to build a $3500+ bike for around a grand. So all in all I think its going to work out pretty good.

I'll post pics when I get it built up :D
NICE! Congrats on things working out. I guess we can't emphasize enough how important it is to have your bike included in your homeowner's insurance policy!! Good news.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
As a fellow Weyless XP owner (I have lock on grips and Juicy 5's too!) I can feel your pain. I think tomorrow I am going to make sure I have my serial number written down as well.

Sadly, I don't think the losers who stole the bike are the same fine folks we see huffing it doing hard work out on the trails...so spotting any stolen bike is probably a hopeless dream. Howevever, I'll be sure to keep looking for shady guys riding the XP platform. Do you have any pics of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice pics

SiberianYETI said:
As a fellow Weyless XP owner (I have lock on grips and Juicy 5's too!) I can feel your pain. I think tomorrow I am going to make sure I have my serial number written down as well.

Sadly, I don't think the losers who stole the bike are the same fine folks we see huffing it doing hard work out on the trails...so spotting any stolen bike is probably a hopeless dream. Howevever, I'll be sure to keep looking for shady guys riding the XP platform. Do you have any pics of it?
I might have shots of it at home, and will look later tonight/tomorrow.

I checked out your pics of 05 and really enjoyed them. Lots of familiar scenery and a great looking bike :D the Weyless was a good bike despite being a budget bike, and will be missed.
 

·
Let's fly!
Joined
·
433 Posts
Someone stole my bike in Boulder a few years back. I reported it, got the insurance check, got a new bike. A few months later, I saw my bike locked to a bike rack. The pain and anger flooded back! I called the police, they said they might be able to come down and check it out. Even though I was in a hurry and had numerous other things to do, I decided to wait for someone to come unlock it.

I sat there for almost 3 hours. No police, no one came up to it, nothing. The anger subsided, the urgent gotta-do's won out, I left. I wish I had a lock with me at the time so I could have locked it and given them a surprise!

I went back a couple hours later after getting my other stuff done and it was gone.

I did end up with a better bike due to the insurance check. I just wanted the opportunity ot say "thanks" to the jerk that stole it in the first place.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top