Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,395 Posts
Unless you're prepared to deal with people that will escalate to a life or death situation and you have John Wick type skills I'd probably skip trying to get your bike back by going into a homeless camp with cash and weapons. It's just not worth it.

The lesson is your security measures suck and you need to be more careful. You need a burly chain and a high-end lock to have any chance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will break it down for you. You said you hope the thief overdoses with the extra money they should get for such a nice bike. I pointed out that you were hoping they get more money for the bike than most would get in hopes they overdose. Are you able to track that line of thought?

You are of course assuming that the thief is a heroin addict, and if so, that said addict knows the difference in value between an Atherton, Giant, Trek or other mid to high end bike. More likely, if indeed the thief is a junky, they have no clue what they stole, other than it looks nice and they can get some money for drugs in exhange for it. Or do you think most junkies spend their free time cruising MTBR, Pinkbike, and Bikerumor to keep up on the latest and greatest as well as used market pricing?
Put on your reading glasses OLD man and re read what I wrote. I never mentioned a peep about any EXTRA money. Homeless encampment and stealing= 90% certain that the money isn't being used for Rib Eye steaks or Milk. To add. Again, I don't recall mentioning anything about Heroin, so go back and re read for the second time with your glasses on this time.

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
Put on your reading glasses OLD man and re read what I wrote. I never mentioned a peep about any EXTRA money. Homeless encampment and stealing= 90% certain that the money isn't being used for Rib Eye steaks or Milk. To add. Again, I don't recall mentioning anything about Heroin, so go back and re read for the second time with your glasses on this time.
You are charming. Are you this insulting in person, or just when you have a keyboard in front of you? Oh wait, I forgot, you are the guy suggested the OP grab some money, a couple of friends and go down there. Res ipsa loquitur.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,984 Posts
The lesson is your security measures suck and you need to be more careful. You need a burly chain and a high-end lock to have any chance.
Yeah and those chances are slim because where do you hook that chain up to?
Went just through this with my gf’s new oneup with is made out of bolted together aluminum parts and even the hitch is some soft thin metal.
On top of that you have cordless bolt cutter etc..

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,984 Posts
Try making a little more sense next time! Or maybe you think this bike will only get them two $20 bags?
Imho he was just making light of your comment that you hope that one or more OD on the hopefully many bags they score from the sale thats all.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I really am sorry about this guy's bike being stolen. What a terrible situation.

Recently I've noticed how ugly my tailgate pad is and have been imagining a much more secure and attractive solution. Maybe as an option for modern trucks.

Imagine bedliner material on the tailgate the same color as the truck, imagine a built in properly angled and shaped top edge of tailgate.Now imagine that the top of the tailgate has U shaped pieces of steel that flip over the bike's frame and can be locked holding the bike down and only a torch could cut them. Anyways.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,614 Posts
I really am sorry about this guy's bike being stolen. What a terrible situation.

Recently I've noticed how ugly my tailgate pad is and have been imagining a much more secure and attractive solution. Maybe as an option for modern trucks.

Imagine bedliner material on the tailgate the same color as the truck, imagine a built in properly angled and shaped top edge of tailgate.Now imagine that the top of the tailgate has U shaped pieces of steel that flip over the bike's frame and can be locked holding the bike down and only a torch could cut them. Anyways.
I have often thought about this…

Every second vehicle on the road where I live is a truck with a tailgate pad that never comes off (apart from winter months, and even then, it stays on for some). But I’m lucky to live where I do. I have to believe it is not representative of the rest of the world, or else we would have a safe, quick, aesthetically pleasing solution along the lines you described, as an OEM option when buying a truck. Despite biking being the raison d’être for a lot of us, I can only conclude that we mountain bikers remain a microscopic market overall. If volume and profit were there, this option would exist.

I don’t leave my bikes in my truck unattended, no matter what locking system is being employed. A cordless orbital grinder will foil any security attempts in 30 seconds or less. I also don’t leave my bikes in my truck in my driveway for more than 10 seconds when I get home after a ride, or before I leave for one. My home security system is connected to my overhead garage door, and I have a doorbell camera and one of these installed in the garage:

This is in a small, gated, cul de sac neighborhood in residential Canada populated largely by retirees who stare out their windows all day and note the comings and goings of everyone who enters my neighborhood. And even with all these measures, I still feel somewhat vulnerable.

I hate living in fear but this is what it’s come to. Either take precautions or assume some degree of risk.

As remote as it might be, if I see an Atherton way up in my tiny part of the world, I will be politely asking where it was bought. Hopefully we will all do that. And if I conclude that someone bought it for a deflated price, when they knew or ought to have known it was stolen, I’m calling the authorities and messaging the OP. Those bikes are exceedingly rare. I didn’t even think they were in production.

Reactions: DIRTJUNKIE

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,395 Posts
Yeah and those chances are slim because where do you hook that chain up to?
Went just through this with my gf’s new oneup with is made out of bolted together aluminum parts and even the hitch is some soft thin metal.
On top of that you have cordless bolt cutter etc..
Agreed, it's not perfect. You can loop thru the rack and hitch, make it take longer than a minute or so using a noisy grinder, and if it's parked where there are security cameras too they may decide to leave it. And IMO this is only good for short periods of time in busy places. Those cable locks take a couple seconds to cut using a silent tool, so cables are only good for keeping honest people honest, they won't even slow down a thief by more than a few seconds.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,335 Posts
Agreed, it's not perfect. You can loop thru the rack and hitch, make it take longer than a minute or so using a noisy grinder, and if it's parked where there are security cameras too they may decide to leave it. And IMO this is only good for short periods of time in busy places. Those cable locks take a couple seconds to cut using a silent tool, so cables are only good for keeping honest people honest, they won't even slow down a thief by more than a few seconds.
cordless speed cutter vs. any lock on the market = gone in 60 seconds or less

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Unless you're prepared to deal with people that will escalate to a life or death situation and you have John Wick type skills I'd probably skip trying to get your bike back by going into a homeless camp with cash and weapons. It's just not worth it.

⬆ = (y)
I'm almost a proponent of having mods delete any post that promotes someone turning themselves into Liam Neeson in "Taken." But, hey, we're all adults, we can make our own (stupid) decisions. "Taken" is a bad comparison, however, as I wouldn't equate my kids to a nice bike.

Ok, so if you need the story to share at campfires about how badass you are, then you do you. But the last thing I want is for my tombstone to have this silly-ass phrase written on it: "Died valiantly trying to get his replaceable material object back."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ha…Hardly Liam style. I did post flyers at the entrance and safer areas in the camp saying will pay reward and no questions asked. I don’t dare go deep in there as it a city block size. The neighborhood watch and the neighbor I’m in contact with has been of great help. If not getting my bike back at least getting info in this underground bike theft ring.
The neighbor was able to talk with a less sketchy resident of the camp and says there’s a couple of young gangster dudes who move 10 bikes a day in there. Maybe exaggerating on 10 bikes a day, but it’s a criminal minority of this site and doesn’t reflect the majority of the not so fortunate souls.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,395 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You are charming. Are you this insulting in person, or just when you have a keyboard in front of you? Oh wait, I forgot, you are the guy suggested the OP grab some money, a couple of friends and go down there. Res ipsa loquitur.
That was another guy who posted that. You might want to scroll back up and re read before accusing me of something I never posted.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,335 Posts
Ha…Hardly Liam style. I did post flyers at the entrance and safer areas in the camp saying will pay reward and no questions asked. I don’t dare go deep in there as it a city block size. The neighborhood watch and the neighbor I’m in contact with has been of great help. If not getting my bike back at least getting info in this underground bike theft ring.
The neighbor was able to talk with a less sketchy resident of the camp and says there’s a couple of young gangster dudes who move 10 bikes a day in there. Maybe exaggerating on 10 bikes a day, but it’s a criminal minority of this site and doesn’t reflect the majority of the not so fortunate souls.
You need a proxy.... A mercenary, preferably.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,395 Posts
Also, this looks interesting... I could see hiding this on my rack somewhere, then there's not only a loud grinder required but a loud alarm will go off at the same time. I could see a thief leaving quickly when the alarm sounds if they know it's going to take a few minutes to defeat the lock and chain.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,984 Posts
Also, this looks interesting... I could see hiding this on my rack somewhere, then there's not only a loud grinder required but a loud alarm will go off at the same time. I could see a thief leaving quickly when the alarm sounds if they know it's going to take a few minutes to defeat the lock and chain.

What if they use a vibration free battery powered bolt cutter?😉

Reactions: DIRTJUNKIE
41 - 60 of 86 Posts