Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,006 Posts
So get 3 buddies, a couple of weapons, some cash, and go find your bike.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
I am sure this love, peace and happiness gathering of sweat hearts will be caught totally off guard by people coming looking for their stuff.

Op, I hope you will get the bike back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
...and if it shows up on the trail, then a difficult discussion will have to be had. That bike will be impossible not to spot, if it re-emerges in your neck of the woods. One of a kind.

I would take precautions and high tail it to that camp, cash in hand, as suggested above.

...as an aside, I googled "homeless camp Coyote Creek" and was pretty shocked at what I saw. Take precautions. Personally, I would be worried about saying you had $200 on you. I would be very concerned about having the $hit beaten out of me for my shoes and the $200, and leaving there in an ambulance without the bike. I would bring 2 large friends straight into the camp with me, preferably ones who have had a little street mileage.
Yeah definitely be cautious and if it's THAT bad I'd just write it off as lost. I've volunteered at those camps in Philadelphia so I'd be a bit more comfortable probably, BUT if I had any trepidation, as gorgeous as that bike is, and as much as I'm sure you love it, it's simply not worth it. That said, from my experience they stole the bike with the intentions of selling it. If it's at the camp, they're looking for heroin and they'd much rather have that then a bike. Plus, a local pawn shop would have trouble taking it cause the rarity and value. It might be a professional, and if it was it's gone, but if it's at that camp my bet is $200 would get it back. Yes, there's a chance they'll just take the money, but typically those people operate in the shadows, and when confronted with a few guys they're not gonna wanna fight. Good luck, and like I said, don't do it unless your comfortable either in yourself or the guys who tag along.

Sucks though. I'd be devastated if someone stole my bike. I've left it locked but unattended while i ran in the food store or someplace quick. I'll think twice next time. Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately cable lock, but it was a clean cut. Regardless no bike is leaving my sight.
Did you have it insured or can you claim it from your car insurance? I gotta look into it tomorrow now that I'm thinking about. I see a lotta bikes that cost more than the car that driving em, so probably a good idea to make sure it's insured.

Really am devastated for you ... I literally just stare at my bike sometimes like it's a piece of art, or even worse,, I'll take a picture of it then zoom in and stare at it some more. No doubt your bike is art and I'm really hoping you check back in with some good news!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did you have it insured or can you claim it from your car insurance? I gotta look into it tomorrow now that I'm thinking about. I see a lotta bikes that cost more than the car that driving em, so probably a good idea to make sure it's insured.

Really am devastated for you ... I literally just stare at my bike sometimes like it's a piece of art, or even worse,, I'll take a picture of it then zoom in and stare at it some more. No doubt your bike is art and I'm really hoping you check back in with some good news!
"can you claim it from your car insurance?"...........NO!

·
All fat, all the time.
9,378 Posts
That really stinks.

Couple years ago my friend and I drove down to watch red bull. He locked his bike on my truck, and forgot to bring the key

We cut it off in about 10 seconds in the hotel parking lot

People walking by didn't even give us a second look.

Definitely can't leave a bike on a vehicle. :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That really stinks.

Couple years ago my friend and I drove down to watch red bull. He locked his bike on my truck, and forgot to bring the key

We cut it off in about 10 seconds in the hotel parking lot

People walking by didn't even give us a second look.

Definitely can't leave a bike on a vehicle. :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What ayah mean? You got away with it

·
Registered
459 Posts
OP, very sorry to hear about your bike.

With regards to the "head over to the chop shop with $200" plan, well, there's a handful of different ones. I've (unintentionally) ridden by a handful of different homeless encampments with signs of chop shop action over the years along the Guadalupe and Coyote rivers. They seem to shift around a bit as encampments tend to do. So...even if you do work up the courage to try and cut a deal with a group that has nothing to lose, there's certainly a chance that A) they honestly haven't seen your bike, and/or B) the bike is already gone...being shipped to another location to be sold for parts on ebay or whatever. In other words, some other dude may have already bought your bike for $200.

Still definitely worth keeping a watch on the classifieds, especially if you have the serial number reported to the authorities. Hope that you can recover as much as possible ASAP.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My State Farm vehicle Insurance will cover bike theft and if yours doesn't it's time to go with another company. Hopefully one or more had a fatal OD with the many bags they scored with this NOT so cheap bike.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
My State Farm vehicle Insurance will cover bike theft and if yours doesn't it's time to go with another company. Hopefully one or more had a fatal OD with the many bags they scored with this NOT so cheap bike.
This may be the first time in history that someone has wished a thief got more money for their fenced goods than less.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This may be the first time in history that someone has wished a thief got more money for their fenced goods than less.
Try making a little more sense next time! Or maybe you think this bike will only get them two $20 bags?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ve been talking with the neighbor who lives across the street and he says he sees LOTS!!!! of bikes move out of the creek. They all have cellphones he says and has seen the transaction. The car will drive up and the bike thief will come out of the creek with a stolen bike and the guy pays and drives off in a matter of minutes.
He has a surveillance camera and this is what he captured today. The camp is on the other side of the fence and there’s no reason to drive down this road. He says this isn’t a neighborhood car and doesn’t belong. Can’t tell it’s my bike from the photo.
A52A1562-ED69-4C73-A200-F31F0800D53A.png
5B44087B-0A82-4F63-8B15-9A436C141B03.png

·
Registered
357 Posts
5miles.com, offerup.com, searchtempest.com, and ebay. Good luck dude, I feel your pain...from my own experience. Car insurance really should cover you, though. After that, check homeowners insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Try making a little more sense next time! Or maybe you think this bike will only get them two $20 bags?
I will break it down for you. You said you hope the thief overdoses with the extra money they should get for such a nice bike. I pointed out that you were hoping they get more money for the bike than most would get in hopes they overdose. Are you able to track that line of thought?

You are of course assuming that the thief is a heroin addict, and if so, that said addict knows the difference in value between an Atherton, Giant, Trek or other mid to high end bike. More likely, if indeed the thief is a junky, they have no clue what they stole, other than it looks nice and they can get some money for drugs in exhange for it. Or do you think most junkies spend their free time cruising MTBR, Pinkbike, and Bikerumor to keep up on the latest and greatest as well as used market pricing?

21 - 40 of 86 Posts