Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Atherton was stolen off my roof rack in San Jose yesterday. The lock was cut and the bike was gone when I got back. I was able to track and find my airtag close to homeless camp by Coyote creek. Seems they know to rip it out. Police was kind enough to go down there but came up empty. Please keep an eye out as only one other person I know even has this bike in the Bay Area. Gutted!
535D6CB8-F881-4B9A-B53F-55BCE62BAFA1.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I tried it in the frame but signal gets lost, so has to be outside. I don’t want to go into too much detail of where I put it but obviously the scums know about these things. It was on long enough to provide me and the police with a lead.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
140 Posts
Sadly you are another statistic of what we all know is crime of opportunity. I am very sorry about your bike. Clearly it wasn't inexpensive and regardless of whether it was $500 or $5000 the fact that someone took your property is just crappy. AirTags don't look very promising since the signal is basically ineffective if concealed. Still, a layered security approach is better than nothing. Bike thieves have got it down, they are carrying serious tools and are equipped to be in and out in about a minute. When you leave your bike out unattended anywhere there's a 70% likelihood it won't be there when you get back. Hopefully you have homeowners insurance and a reasonable deductible. Claims against your auto insurance are hit or miss, but they often deny when they find out you want a 5K payout on a $1200 ~ $1800 policy. I'll reiterate the usual. Put the bike on as many registries as possible. Sometimes you get lucky when someone fencing this stuff gets caught. Sorry man, it really sucks.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
Super sorry for your loss. Best of luck recovering it, and moving forward.

Gutted for you, especially because it was an Atherton. The good news is that this bike will stick out like a sore thumb if the thief is unsophisticated and careless.

There was a relatively recent story on PB (yes - not yet paywalled), about another beautiful and rare bike - a prototype Canfield - that was stolen, and later recovered. So don't give up hope.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I doubt the police were able to check inside tents where a freshly stolen bike would be stashed, but it was nice they even responded to a property crimes call and actually performed a search at the camp.

I bet someone at the camp would give you a lead for $100 or five bucks worth of heroine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Go to the camp with $100 and offer to pay for it, no questions asked. They'll say they have no clue what you're talking about. Take another $100 out, say that's all you have and it's you're final offer. You need an answer in 30 seconds then you're walking away for good. Bring a friend and have a driver. Tell that driver to call 911 if you're not back in 5 minutes. If it's down there, $200 will get you the bike, but they'll let you walk then come after you. If not, they already sold it.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
That really sucks. It is so unique that it will hopefully turn up. It is going to be hard to sell.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
That really sucks. It is so unique that it will hopefully turn up. It is going to be hard to sell.
...and if it shows up on the trail, then a difficult discussion will have to be had. That bike will be impossible not to spot, if it re-emerges in your neck of the woods. One of a kind.

I would take precautions and high tail it to that camp, cash in hand, as suggested above.

...as an aside, I googled "homeless camp Coyote Creek" and was pretty shocked at what I saw. Take precautions. Personally, I would be worried about saying you had $200 on you. I would be very concerned about having the $hit beaten out of me for my shoes and the $200, and leaving there in an ambulance without the bike. I would bring 2 large friends straight into the camp with me, preferably ones who have had a little street mileage.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wow, I have never seen one of those in person. I’d go in the camp and ask one of the less sketchy dude to help you find it. If a cop is walking through, no way they would leave the bike out in the open or say anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...and if it shows up on the trail, then a difficult discussion will have to be had. That bike will be impossible not to spot, if it re-emerges in your neck of the woods. One of a kind.

I would take precautions and high tail it to that camp, cash in hand, as suggested above.

...as an aside, I googled "homeless camp Coyote Creek" and was pretty shocked at what I saw. Take precautions. Personally, I would be worried about saying you had $200 on you. I would be very concerned about having the $hit beaten out of me for my shoes and the $200, and leaving there in an ambulance without the bike. I would bring 2 large friends straight into the camp with me, preferably ones who have had a little street mileage.
Hopefully it sticks out like a sore thumb and is spotted. The cops did a quick walk in the vicinity, unfortunately they’re not going to go camp to camp for this. It’s a city within a city in there.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Neighbors who know coyote creek don’t suggest I go there.
A wise suggestion. You are walking into another group’s territory, that is known to be hostile to outsiders. That means you need to be prepared for a potentially violent encounter. If it was a family member you were going to get out that is one thing, for this file an insurance claim and hope the thief gets a terrible disease.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
It's unlikely your lock was cut and a tag was removed by a homeless person.

Most likely a professional thief tossed the tag at the camp knowing it's easy to blame this group.

I in particular have real issues with the homeless and they don't get my sympathy. But they are mostly drunks, very lazy people, and people with mental illness. They are not targeting high end bikes. They steal bikes for sure, but are mostly just grabbing Huffie's that sit outside their tents.Hate to say it but other mountain bike riders are targeting high end mountain bikes.

PS. The bike was beautiful and you everyone should learn by now to never leave your bike alone.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

Most likely a professional thief tossed the tag at the camp knowing it's easy to blame this group.
That’s not an unrealistic take. If they are smart enough to do that, they’ll likely be smart enough to just scrap the frame and sell each part individually.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't want to demonize the homeless, but this seems to be happening a lot. There's a homeless encampment just on the other side of my town that's become a bike chop shop. Somebody (braver than I) wandered through and video'd it last year. The entrance to this trail is maybe 20 feet from a local multi-use trail - how convenient.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
That’s not an unrealistic take. If they are smart enough to do that, they’ll likely be smart enough to just scrap the frame and sell each part individually.
Seriously, if they were smart enough to target bike/ cut lock/ remove tag don't you think they would be smart enough to throw the tag away from where they took the bike?
When I was an 18 year old dumb kid, a friend and I spent our entire credit cards in one day, drove by a local HS and dropped the credit cards in the student parking lot before school got out, and just reported them stolen.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hate to say it but other mountain bike riders are targeting high end mountain bikes.
yeah, this is a bummer if true. i've noticed some behaviors that raised my suspicions recently, but i want to believe i was just mistaken.
example behavior: large groups of riders all nearly parked with their cars lined up and parked with rear end first, e.g, rear of trucks/cars (and bikes) away from public view. Then they all ride out on their (very nice) bikes together.

again, i may be completely wrong with some weird ass agenda. feel free to tell me i suck. i do hope i am wrong.

OP - sorry to hear about your loss. i hope resolves to your happiness soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I in particular have real issues with the homeless and they don't get my sympathy. But they are mostly drunks, very lazy people, and people with mental illness. They are not targeting high end bikes. They steal bikes for sure, but are mostly just grabbing Huffie's that sit outside their tents.Hate to say it but other mountain bike riders are targeting high end mountain bikes.

PS. The bike was beautiful and you everyone should learn by now to never leave your bike alone.
My heart wants to agree with you but my evidence says the thief accesses the camp or lives there. The airtag was not place in the middle of the camp entrance blinking “look at me.” It was in the side yard of the neighbors bushes and trees which is across from this camp. I originally thought that it was the perpetrator’s house but every neighbor has been super helpful and would not place a blinking object in their yard nor is a bike thief living amongst them. They could have taken the battery out.
Also I could see the airtag move when I first noticed it on my phone. It wasn’t car speed but bicycle speed and a pro would dump it in their van and drove far off.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts