Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much figure there is less than any hope for recovering my bike let alone a single part. 12/14/20 someone hopped my fence and entered my house while I was home. A real pro out there! Built this 1997 Keith Bontrager Titanium Lite over quarantine. It took a good 6 months to put together. Paint removal and finish. All original, Shimano XT and my dads Jando handlebar bag. I'm looking for this bike or for a frame, handlebars or similar wheels to get one like it running and on the road again. I searched long and hard for this frame and especially the handlebars. So hard to find! Does anyone know of anyone selling anything similar? Also, if anyone happens to see it or has a lead; PLEASE hit me up! Thank you!

Stolen 1997 Keith Bontrager titanium lite

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sorry to hear this. You can tell from my avitar how fond I am of that specific bike. You should mention it on the facebook Vintage Bontragers page and post a pic. It's uncommon enough - and has a niche enough appeal - that it may show up some day if enough of the right people are aware to look for it. That's also a good place to find a replacement if you really want to. Hope 2021 starts out better for you.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Likely goes without saying, but, call pawn shops in your town and a few surrounding ones, and hit Craigslist, every day, a couple times a day.

Takes 30 seconds to scan the first 100 listings on there, and you'd be amazed how dumb some criminals can be.

I've had more than a couple customers find their bikes after being lifted, that way.

Condolences, much like horse thieves of the old west, bike thieves should be hung at dawn.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Definitely look everywhere cuz ya never know (craigslist, nextdoor, pawn shops). Probability is low, but worth the effort.

I had my race lite stolen in September so feel your pain. I spent a lot of time looking.

On the bright side, it pushed me to build some bikes from other parts/frames I had and now I have some other fun bikes.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
Man that sucks, may be even harder to find without any identification on the frame. Most people aren't going to have any clue what it is unless they recognize the seat tube weld.

As to the other question, they do not come up for sale frequently, at least on ebay or national listings. I've had a search saved on ebay for about 6 years now and I've only seen 3 or 4 in that time and they all wanted a premium for them, at least 1 was like $1200 for just the frame. I'd definitely watch local craigslist in case you can luck out with one locally. I ended up doing a voodoo djab build instead of a ti lite. In addition to them just not being common at all, the 1in headtube has become a complete PITA to try and get a good fork for these days. There were a bunch of other great mid-90's ti frames that are probably going to be a lot easier to find in case you don't have to have a ti lite or get sick of looking for one, I think everyone else was on to 1 1/8in headtubes as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts