Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who's going? My wife and I are heading up with a couple of friends. Should be loads of pics. While there, Curtis Inglis is introducing my wife to her new Retrotec Classic 29'er. He's going to bring it from Cali. if he gets it done in time.

Should be lots of fun. Hope to meet up with a few folks from here if possible. Oh, probably going to Eurobike as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll be there with my wife too, as well as Hubert from here and a couple of other Dutch singlespeeders. We'll be at Eurobike too!

Looking forward to seeing the bike of your wife!!

There will be lots of people but if you see some taal guys speaking a strang language and they are not Swedish, it may be us!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just moved here (Stockholm) 2 months ago from Sebastopol, California. The trails here are great. There are kms and kms of trails and the terrain is beautiful and technical. Lots of big rocks to ride over, smaller rock gardens, drop-offs and roots. It's a fun technical not an ''Oh **** I'm gonna die'' technical.. although you can find some of that too. Stockholm is a beautiful and bike friendly city and is 20 minutes away from nice single tracks. I didn't know there was even mtb here, but just kept asking questions at local bike shops and running into mt bikers. Swedes are very nice people. Local website is www.happymtb.org. you can post in English as everyone's fluent.:thumbsup:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I'm very bummed to not be able to make it due to work. Was supposed to pick me up a tall blonde bride there. Y'all keep your hands off her you hear me?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I'm very bummed to not be able to make it due to work. Was supposed to pick me up a tall blonde bride there. Y'all keep your hands off her you hear me?
Do I understand this correct?! You're not picking up your bride because of work?! :confused:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
bearburrell said:
There are kms and kms of trails and the terrain is beautiful and technical. Lots of big rocks to ride over, smaller rock gardens, drop-offs and roots. It's a fun technical not an ''Oh **** I'm gonna die'' technical.. although you can find some of that too
Scandinavia is pretty nice in that usually any area that is not obviously somebody's backyard, cultivated field, or specially protected area is "open access". OK, that still mean that the trails are on somebody's land, and you ride them "as is" unless you really want to talk to the owner about changing a ground feature or removing a tree.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Glad to hear we've got some 29"ers representing there. More Europeans need to be exposed to what the big wheeled bikes can do.

perttime said:
Scandinavia is pretty nice in that usually any area that is not obviously somebody's backyard, cultivated field, or specially protected area is "open access". OK, that still mean that the trails are on somebody's land, and you ride them "as is" unless you really want to talk to the owner about changing a ground feature or removing a tree.
You can even camp, as long as you're something like 200m (or some such not-very-far figure) from anyone's house.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
GlowBoy said:
You can even camp, as long as you're something like 200m (or some such not-very-far figure) from anyone's house.
I think a good rule of thumb is you can camp over one night (no campfires, far enough that you cannot see anybody's house) without asking permission.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
perttime said:
I think a good rule of thumb is you can camp over one night (no campfires, far enough that you cannot see anybody's house) without asking permission.
That's still pretty awesome. In the USA camping on private land like that can easily provoke an armed response.

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
Welcome to Stockholm everyone who is going here! I have other plans than SSWC, but though I would share a few pics from yesterday's ride in the Stockholm surrounding as a pre-taste of the area. I think the event will be south of town, these pics are from the northern side but you get an idea of the nature. We currently have sweet summer days here. Mid-August may be warm or cool, you never know from one day to the next.

This is five minutes bike ride from my door, which is twenty minutes by metro from Stockholm city center:

Trees cover more than half of Sweden. In fact, we have more forest than any other country in Europe. Mountainbiking in Sweden is often same as forestbiking:

Trails may be smooth:

But it helps if you also like plenty of roots and small rocks:

Tool for this ride:

Anyway, enjoy Stockholm and have fun at the event!

·
zoip.
170 Posts
I'll be there. the paint on my bike will match your wife's 29er, although I've got a 26in half retrotec. it's gonna be sweet!

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aha!

JJT said:
I'll be there with my wife too, as well as Hubert from here and a couple of other Dutch singlespeeders. We'll be at Eurobike too!

Looking forward to seeing the bike of your wife!!

There will be lots of people but if you see some taal guys speaking a strang language and they are not Swedish, it may be us!
You'll be the guys who sound like they're not quite speaking Deutsch and not quite speaking English.

We'll be some more of the clueless Americans. I'll be on the Apple Green Curtlo with a Red Sycip fork.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Cloxxki said:
The joke my wife and I have when we tell people about our recent 1 month trip is that "we were the short ugly people". She's 6' tall and I am 6'5". For sake of taste, I'll just say our looks would never knock a dog off of a meat wagon. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts