Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
tardcore
821 Posts
I have no idea but there's a serious lack of info on their site. A good faq page or better specs would be nice. I'm considering building up a bird but will almost need a frame in hand before I can order other parts because there's not much info on what's included with a frame or any real specs. I read one review where the guy said the stock stem was a 60mm but that seems a little short, since we're guessing here I'd guess 70mm.

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed....I thought about a custom build as well and I had to really Google it to get the specs from other riders... I test rode a demo medium and the ride was PERFECTLY balanced for me. Don't want to change nothing as for fit! :)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
pjlama said:
Cool, thanks Timberrr. I'm very close on ordering a frame and putting the build from my AM DW Spot on it.
Why are you going from a Spot to a Firebird? I'd guess because the Spot rides like it's got 4" of travel and you want more, but just from what I've read here and there.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
I have two Spots, one is built up more XC the other AM. I think I'd prefer to put all my heavy parts on a Firebird for my AM rig and keep my lighter Spot for my XC bike. The Spot, depending on set-up feels pretty deep. The way I have the AM one set-up, MX coil and Lyric doesn't feel like 4" by any stretch but I like it better as an XC/trail bike so I ordered a white Firebird today :thumbsup: We'll see how the experiment goes, I have a couple friends who want one of my Spot frames and if I don't like the FB I can sell it but I have high hopes after testing the FB around the parking lot at my LBS for whatever that's worth :rolleyes: Here's a pic of my two Spots so you can get an idea of the FB build.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
pjlama said:
I have two Spots, one is built up more XC the other AM. I think I'd prefer to put all my heavy parts on a Firebird for my AM rig and keep my lighter Spot for my XC bike. The Spot, depending on set-up feels pretty deep. The way I have the AM one set-up, MX coil and Lyric doesn't feel like 4" by any stretch but I like it better as an XC/trail bike so I ordered a white Firebird today :thumbsup: We'll see how the experiment goes, I have a couple friends who want one of my Spot frames and if I don't like the FB I can sell it but I have high hopes after testing the FB around the parking lot at my LBS for whatever that's worth :rolleyes: Here's a pic of my two Spots so you can get an idea of the FB build.
Veerrrry nice looking bikes. I think what I was reading about was with the RP23 bike and they were changing can volume or something. But that was a while back now and my memory on that is a little fuzzy.

What Ti spring are you running? I'm running a steel coil right now since I stupidly renounced coil shocks and sold my ti springs... I'm either getting a DSP or ??? The new thrust bearing setup on the Obtainium's looks fun.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
It's a DSP. Some people had issues with the RP bottoming easily giving the impression of less travel but it was more a set-up issue. Either shimming the shock, pushing it or going to a coil solved it for the super agro set. There was a whole big dust up over whether the Spot could be used as a stop gap AM rig while guys waited for the new RFX. It works well enough for that purpose but not really designed specifically for that so it'll be fun to see what a true (by design) AM, DW bike is like. Bring on the Firechicken!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.