Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Saint brakes arrived, I plan to install them today. Anybody know what pad compound comes stock?

I've got some Truckerco OSM (organic semi-metallic) aftermarket pads which have been my go-to pads for a decade or more. But if semi-metallic or full metallic pads come stock in Saint brakes, I won't bother to swap the aftermarket pads in.

TIA,
=sParty

· Registered
14,400 Posts
I think ultimately it could be either. If you look at the pad and it has the flakes in it though, then it's the sintered.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· Registered
20,210 Posts
I just tossed out a set of the stock pads on my Saints after burning through them this summer. I can look at what pad material when I get home to verify but I thin they were sintered. They performed really well so if I were you I'd just use them.

· Registered
696 Posts
New Saint brakes arrived, I plan to install them today. Anybody know what pad compound comes stock?

I've got some Truckerco OSM (organic semi-metallic) aftermarket pads which have been my go-to pads for a decade or more. But if semi-metallic or full metallic pads come stock in Saint brakes, I won't bother to swap the aftermarket pads in.

TIA,
=sParty
Out of the box, Saint brakes comes with metallic pads.
I would avoid aftermarket pads, unless you cant find original Shimano metallic or resin pads.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of the box, Saint brakes comes with metallic pads.
I would avoid aftermarket pads, unless you cant find original Shimano metallic or resin pads.
Thanks. Reason for avoiding aftermarket pads? TIA
=sParty

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find Gaffer Pro to be the best if humid or damp riding, way better than shimano resin. They break as well as the metal pads but at any temp or dampness.
Yeah I tried Shimano resin pads maybe 15 years ago… won't be going there again. It was winter… I live in the PNW… they lasted about one ride and performed poorly while rushing to their well deserved departure.

Maybe they work well in dry conditions.

Anyway that experience was what caused me to learn about metal sintered pads. Used these since.

I'll consider trying the Galfer Pros. That is if I ever feel my trusty Truckerco OSMs leave something to be desired. Thanks.
=sParty

· Registered
696 Posts
Thanks. Reason for avoiding aftermarket pads? TIA
=sParty
From my experience every time i tried aftermarket pads they lack of power compared to original pads, while they cost the same, at least here in the EU...
Yeah I tried Shimano resin pads maybe 15 years ago… won't be going there again. It was winter… I live in the PNW… they lasted about one ride and performed poorly while rushing to their well deserved departure.

Maybe they work well in dry conditions.

Anyway that experience was what caused me to learn about metal sintered pads. Used these since.

I'll consider trying the Galfer Pros. That is if I ever feel my trusty Truckerco OSMs leave something to be desired. Thanks.
=sParty
The new Shimano resin pads are more like semi-metallic and much more powerful compared to the older version. As for Galfer Pro, never tired them so i cant comment... but if i cant find original pads, these will be first on my trying list.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
Yeah the new resin wear out faster and fade a little faster. But have more initial bite. Works better in wet and are much better than years ago. The Gaffer are on another level. I used to run the newer resin pad exept for when I travel where downhills are longer than 4miles or faster than 30mph. But the Gaffer pads don't seem to fade as fast as shimano resin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.