Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, if you are looking for an AM bike that can bomb the downhills AND pedal uphill well this is not your bike. I love my Stinky when pointed downhill or off of something but when pointed uphill it turns into a pig. That being said I have heard that they are better than most DH/FR specific bikes but I cannot attest. I can tell you that I LOVE mine but I also have an AM bike for the days when I need to be pointed uphill. If you could get one with a lockout on the rear it might pedal better. My frame came with a Fox Van which has been surprisingly good for being so simple but there is no lockout. If you had a DHX 5 you might have better luck.

·
Pacifist Guerilla
195 Posts
The deluxe comes with the roco tst doesnt it? If so its an awesome shock with really good adjustment. You can switch it to go really stiff for climbs. But like most dh/fr it is not as good at climbing as an xc, but it will do you fine as long as you dont mind a little hard work.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I ride min uphill, and it's not a quick thing. It's a lot of work, mainly because the bike has 7 inches of travel. It can be done, and when you get stronger you'll be able to do it easier, but it's not a walk in the park.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
I have a 2005 Stinky that I have ridden for the last two years. I have ridden everything from Whistler and other freeride, to a 50+ mile epic, to downhill and super-d races. I put a bunch of money into throughing lightweight parts at it and just barely got it under 37lbs. With that weight and that much travel, I always felt like I was burning way too much energy to try to keep up. I also always felt like that suspension design was lacking in the rough downhills. I have now picked up an Intense 6.6 and have high hopes for it, it is almost 7lbs lighter and accelerates so much better! I just hope it will tolerate occasional Whistler trips and other abuse. That's the thing about the Stinky it does everything pretty well, works well with a pretty broad spectrum of builds, and it is pretty much bullit proof. It almost makes me sad to be getting rid of mine!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
redrook said:
The deluxe comes with the roco tst doesnt it? If so its an awesome shock with really good adjustment. You can switch it to go really stiff for climbs. But like most dh/fr it is not as good at climbing as an xc, but it will do you fine as long as you dont mind a little hard work.
work hard on climbs up but a good bike on the down hill.

if you get a smoking deal then go for it

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, I push mine a lot. I have to admit to being on the lazy side and having a 5" bike that I use for days that will have some uphill in them gives me very little patience for peddling the Stinky up a hill. That being said if it was my only bike I am sure I could get used to it. The way it goes down the hill might just make the way it going up the hill worth while though!

·
Registered
654 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.