Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Stab Supreme

Votes: 19 57.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide between the Stinky Primo and the Stab Supreme for a while know but i havent figured out if the Stinky is as bad as people say it is, or if the Stab is worth the extra $1000 these are the two factors:
1-The Stab is completely capable of downhill, but how is it for freeride and reliability
2-The Stinky is capable of freeride, but how capable is it for downhill
what im really trying to say is, is the stab worth the extra green?
thanks

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, 50%downhill (mostly Fontana) 40% freeride (going to whistler and utah in summer) and doing north shore DH-FR stuff in washington and 5% messing around/crusing, 5%climbing thats the only way i can really explain it

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Ive never ridden a stab, but I would think that its completley capable for FR. The only place I would see it suffer is north shore stuff and climbing since i'm pretty sure its a single chainring. I would go with the stab, but that is purley a personal bias to race rigs rather than freeride bikes

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Coley said:
well, 50%downhill (mostly Fontana) 40% freeride (going to whistler and utah in summer) and doing north shore DH-FR stuff in washington and 5% messing around/crusing, 5%climbing thats the only way i can really explain it
sorry to tell you but their are better bikes then the 2 Konas you mentioned.....I wouldn't want to ride a stinky or Stab at Fontana...if you were at the races you don't see too many of those.....ride more bikes and decide

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason i'm going with the Konas is that i know the owner of the shop and he is giving me over 50% off any bike on the kona line, o and smt, you know that bar that you were talking about that you go to after the rocky peak ride, my grandpa used to own it not to long ago

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well SMT, if there are better bikes than the Konas for the same retail price please mention a few. Not trying to start an SMT flame war just curious as I have been playing with the idea of a downhill bike and the most bang for your buck at what I have seen has been the Konas and the EC-D. I REPEAT, I am NOT trying to be rude to you SMT.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I know a few guys who ride stinky's and love them to death, really its all about personal pref. Go out and ride a demo if you can. Both are good bikes but If you are doing FR I would go with the Stinky just because it is a little lighter double chainring, and yet it is still DH capible.

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the stinkey a good pedaler and sprinter, cause i dont want to kill myself on the wall
, but are you kind of saying that the stinky is more rounded and the stab is just best at DH, also does Carlin Dunne ride a stab?

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
DH race or XC race...go with either extremes or both, while you can. from your choices, the Stab's the DH race bike

and then condiser SuperD races or 4Cross races...these pursuits warrent another frame entirely.
I winder if the 2007 Kona Cowan FS frame be good for SuperD or 4Cross races?

"ride to race or race to ride: either way, racing is good for your soul"

·
I Welcome All
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"DH race or XC race...go extreme, while you can
and now SuperD race or 4Cross race...but that's another frame entirely"
i dont get it.....can you restate that

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
Coley said:
"DH race or XC race...go extreme, while you can
and now SuperD race or 4Cross race...but that's another frame entirely"
i dont get it.....can you restate that
OK, i wuz in hurry.
i went back and edited it

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I were you I'd go with the stinky, It will suit you fine for DH don't worry that it is not a "DH specific bike" unless all you do is race, the stab will be too much bike with too much travel. Get the stinky, and if you have seen any recent NWD films, you know what it is capable of in the world of freeride. I fing love mine, and race it all the time. Also just cause Dunne rides a Stab doesn't mean that its a great freerider, Dunne most likely just used it for huge hucks, not tech freeride with skinnies and such. This is jsut my two cents.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.