Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm kinda new to the free-ride world, I did do some little urban and NS on a old Giant Iguana (the frame broke) and i'm looking for a bike to realy get me in to FR/DH even though the DH in Illinois realy suck's. i found a used 04 Stinky D. with a 888 upn front for 1500$ but my LBS is tellin me to just get the Coiler , for some reason the keep thinking that all i am going to do is rugh trail/all mountain rideing so i am asking all u guy's what do you think would best fit my needes

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
stinkyD for 1500 is a great price w/the 888. (hopefully the 888 has the gold knob adjustment knob on top of the fork)......

If you are mostly just trail riding, then the stinky might be overkill unless you are doing drops and such

The Coiler is basically a Stinky with smaller travel.....use to be 5 inch and the new ones are 6 inch.

If you bought the StinkyD for 1500 anfd then sold your 888 and put a smaller fork you would have a better Coiler for riding.

Conclussion: I would buy the Stinky D....Ride it for a while. If you didn't like the big fork then I would get something lighter like the last years Super T.

excellent choice anyway you choose

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guy's at my LBS think that i'm only going to be doing trail riding cause all the trails hear in Peoria are light trail, xc trails exept one little and i stress little, DH run and small NS , but most of my riding will be up at CPX in Chi-town and DH courses in Wis. and Minn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another option?

Have you looked at the Transition Preston or Dirtbag. They are a little more money about $1000, but by the way everyone is talking it sounds like it is a great deal. Check them out at transitionbikes.com/ and look at their reviews on this site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.