Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
You took the moral high ground with your initial post in this thread. Holy pot, kettle, black!!!
How so? Looks like he criticized they way much of the funding was spent in that it was inefficiently targeted, and that while well intentioned, some of the programs actually had unintended consequences. That's a long way from personally attacking someone because one thought it 'sounded kinda like something else I heard somewhere else'.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I just posted some hard numbers. Do you see any issues with my math?
I'd be lying if I said I know enough about the mechanics of unemployment to check numbers. It was my understanding that it was $600 on top of your state unemployment, which is incredibly low in some places.

The other part of this argument that hasn't been addressed was that with the original stimulus, part of the reasoning behind so much unemployment insurance was because we wanted people in lower paying service jobs that deal with the public to stay home, which was supposed to help curb the spread. In theory, that coupled with PPP for small business was supposed to keep employees and employers afloat while we tried to get the spread under control.

Obviously it was a massive fail, but that was the intent.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I know enough about the mechanics of unemployment to check numbers. It was my understanding that it was $600 on top of your state unemployment, which is incredibly low in some places.

The other part of this argument that hasn't been addressed was that with the original stimulus, part of the reasoning behind so much unemployment insurance was because we wanted people in lower paying service jobs that deal with the public to stay home, which was supposed to help curb the spread. In theory, that coupled with PPP for small business was supposed to keep employees and employers afloat while we tried to get the spread under control.

Obviously it was a massive fail, but that was the intent.
Your understanding of the employment model is correct.

And if you are saying that the intent of the program was to pay people so much they don't want to work in the first place, how is it you got upset when someone pointed out that's what happened?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Your understanding of the employment model is correct.

And if you are saying that the intent of the program was to pay people so much they don't want to work in the first place, how is it you got upset when someone pointed out that's what happened?
I get upset at the notion I keep hearing, that people don't want to go back to work because they're lazy. Like I said before, after rereading the post we have been discussing I may have jumped the gun at assuming what he was getting at with this point. That was my bad. I have family members that are in pretty bad shape right now, and I've heard enough chatter about "lazy low income earners" that I'm definitely a little sensitive at this point.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I get upset at the notion I keep hearing, that people don't want to go back to work because they're lazy. Like I said before, after rereading the post we have been discussing I may have jumped the gun at assuming what he was getting at with this point. That was my bad. I have family members that are in pretty bad shape right now, and I've heard enough chatter about "lazy low income earners" that I'm definitely a little sensitive at this point.
Props. You sir are a unicorn amongst MTBR posters.
Don't you know you're never supposed to admit you could be wrong no matter what?
:)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It would have been nice if our money went to the people that actually needed it and not to people that spend it on bike parts and flat screen TVs. When the bill comes due from all these covid relief checks, these same people will be looking for more hand outs again
Of course, and they'll be the same people that demand that others quit being lazy and pull themselves up by their bootstraps along with proudly claiming that 'they never got handed nothing!'.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Of course, and they'll be the same people that demand that others quit being lazy and pull themselves up by their bootstraps along with proudly claiming that 'they never got handed nothing!'.
I've actually heard quite a few people say that they didn't think it made sense for them to be get stimulus checks and the money would be better spent if more thought were put into targeting better.
Some right here in this thread even.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Stimulus fund is meant to be spent! They do not want you to stick it in the bank. Hey my first purchase went to a US company with US manufacturing!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stimulus fund is meant to be spent! They do not want you to stick it in the bank. Hey my first purchase went to a US company with US manufacturing!
Judging by company revenues most of it did not go to local business. It went to Amazon and Apple and a handful of other online businesses at the expense of local businesses. Just the corporations that need handouts from the tax payers, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately, our stimulus checks (like our previous ones) will be going into savings, and used to pay our 2020 return :confused:

But that's not dissuading me buying a new bike this year, but I'll be paying out of pocket for it :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
FYI, the $600 extra from the fed program expired at the end of July. From August through the end of December there was nothing beyond what the states normally pay. January 2021 through present, the feds are giving an extra $300/week.

So yes, all your math is wrong.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I've actually heard quite a few people say that they didn't think it made sense for them to be get stimulus checks and the money would be better spent if more thought were put into targeting better.
Some right here in this thread even.
In Canada you had to apply and show need to receive Covid assistance. Because it was targeted the Covid-assistance is $2000 a month.

People definitely gamed the system, which really frosts me. I know one individual who could have worked full time all summer in a bike shop but took the stimulus money instead. I guess a plus side of that is bike shops are now paying almost $25/hr for experienced mechanics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wish they would take all of the money earmarked for stimulus and put it into vaccine distribution instead. Then we could all go back to work and the unemployment assistance or any further stimulus would be a moot point.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If they are already being deposited then no, I won't be receiving one.

If I do/were eligible I figured I'd buy a better computer work area that is more comfortable. If the government is going to pay me for working at home I will get a nicer work station than I would otherwise.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
FYI, the $600 extra from the fed program expired at the end of July. From August through the end of December there was nothing beyond what the states normally pay. January 2021 through present, the feds are giving an extra $300/week.

So yes, all your math is wrong.
No ****, Sherlock. We're all aware of that.
Here's what was said that started the conversation on that subject:

I also believe that the earlier (and thankfully cancelled) $600/week covid unemployment benefit was among the stupidest unemployment benefits ever offered as it actively encouraged millions of temporarily laid-off people to not return to work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I was eligible, I'd spend it on my LBS for tune ups and maybe some new shifters. I don't think anyone that kept their pre-covid full time job should receive a stimulus check, no matter their income. Just IMO.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
If I was eligible, I'd spend it on my LBS for tune ups and maybe some new shifters. I don't think anyone that kept their pre-covid full time job should receive a stimulus check, no matter their income. Just IMO.
Disagree.

I think a lot of the lower wage 'essential' workers who had to show up the whole time deserved a pay bump just like the unemployed got, as well as the stimulus checks. As we've been taking about, it wasn't really fair that the people getting unemployment benefits got a nice chunk of extra weekly money, but the people still going to work in very challenging conditions didn't for the most part. (My company is an exception - they bumped everyone's pay by 25% for a few months earlier in the year, and also paid us for 40 hours while only requiring us to work 32 (y)).

For folks like me who do a bit better pay-wise and never had a break in employment, while my family qualifies for the stim checks, we definitely could manage without. There have to be smarter ways to spend that money than sending it to me to blow on loud 'n' fast toys for my kid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think a lot of the lower wage 'essential' workers who had to show up the whole time deserved a pay bump
Yes it's unfair. Unfortunately the government is not here to help you (or me). The government's main purpose of these stimulus bill(s) is a way to line the pockets (launder) of special interest groups. Also unfair.

But given the limited resources, we should not be giving stimulus checks to those that don't "need" it.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
"Need" more carbon. Also the price of a good ipa is out of control, I can't afford that $hit. More stimulus please.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.