Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like another $1400 might be heading your way (if you're under the income limits) X the number of people in your household.

Have you / will you spend some of that stimulus money on a bike or bike-related stuff?

Do you think the recent stimulus checks are helping drive up new and used bike prices? If you were able to keep your job, working from home in 2020, doing OK financially and riding a bit more, you may have been thinking of a bike upgrade, then Uncle Sam mails you a couple grand and it starts burning a hole in your pocket...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Lucky enough to put it into our two little kids college funds. That will buy me a lot more than bike parts 20 years from now. My best friend is using half of his towards a new bike... I’m kinda jealous LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just reviewed my W2's for 2020 and the amount of tax I paid was nauseating. I'm just an honest worker that pays his fair share of taxes while everyone seems to have some tax scheme.. I know people in my income receiving full stimulus checks and i'm confused because my stimulus checks are pennies lol I think they're putting their income through businesses and have some clever accountants.. /rant .. anyways, I believe that i'm very fortunate through 2020 and I try to do my part and spend my money at AMERICAN companies. I hope everyone will do the same!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
We live in a place where lots of "COVID refugees" are moving to from the crowded cities that they used to live in. Which sucks except that my wife's job is related to real estate. Her commissions this year doubled her salary and she used some of that to buy a sick set of Chris King/Whisky carbon fiber rims.

My ride is as dialed in as it needs to be so I have no plans for any bike related purchases.

We donated some of the stimulus to the Salvation Army and our local warming shelter. Put the rest in our money market account to be used on travel once we feel comfortable and are allowed to fly abroad again.

·
Administrator
10,528 Posts
Looks like another $1400 might be heading your way (if you're under the income limits) X the number of people in your household.

Have you / will you spend some of that stimulus money on a bike or bike-related stuff?

Do you think the recent stimulus checks are helping drive up new and used bike prices? If you were able to keep your job, working from home in 2020, doing OK financially and riding a bit more, you may have been thinking of a bike upgrade, then Uncle Sam mails you a couple grand and it starts burning a hole in your pocket...
Unless the stimulus checks is also bringing bikes into inventory you will be sitting on your stimulus and awaiting bikes and hoping they get in by 2023. Hopefully that is somewhat kidding but man there are not a lot f bikes out there available.

Still the idea is that you use the stimulus to stimulate the economy so spending locally will certainly help.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,820 Posts
I will spend my money no differently. The "stimulus" check was just an early tax return last year, which is why I have zero return this year (like $5 or something).

·
Administrator
10,528 Posts
I will spend my money no differently. The "stimulus" check was just an early tax return last year, which is why I have zero return this year (like $5 or something).
did you invest it or spend it? How does it affect the tax return process? I am just realizing I need to start my taxes soon and you have me thinking.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Administrator
10,528 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just reviewed my W2's for 2020 and the amount of tax I paid was nauseating. I'm just an honest worker that pays his fair share of taxes while everyone seems to have some tax scheme.. I know people in my income receiving full stimulus checks and i'm confused because my stimulus checks are pennies lol I think they're putting their income through businesses and have some clever accountants.. /rant .. anyways, I believe that i'm very fortunate through 2020 and I try to do my part and spend my money at AMERICAN companies. I hope everyone will do the same!
At least you are getting a check. I get zero, just the privilege working 40/hrs a week to pay for other people's free money, including kids living at home who may not have even had part time jobs.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I'm building a new bike and rationalized I'd spend the $600 care free on some choice components. Once it cleared my account it just became money with the rest of it. No real separation in what I'd with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
If we qualify - New Zealand.

That also depends a lot on whether or not the pandemic is under control to the point that we can travel.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,820 Posts
did you invest it or spend it? How does it affect the tax return process? I am just realizing I need to start my taxes soon and you have me thinking.
I dump a decent percent of my pay into my HSA (max amount) and 401k at work, those are my only investments.

I don't know how my taxes were affected, to be honest. I have someone else do them for me for a small fee. I know my tax situation is simple, but it's worth the small fee. I sent my W2 over right after I got it and she took care of it, and told me I was basically getting nothing in federal (state return isn't bad).

·
Registered
24 Posts
At least you are getting a check. I get zero, just the privilege working 40/hrs a week to pay for other people's free money, including kids living at home who may not have even had part time jobs.
I honestly don't want a check. I want a fair tax system: smaller government, smarter government spending, close tax loopholes for the rich, and get these welfare kings/queens back to work. What makes me mad is I know a lot of people choosing to stay home and collect these generous unemployment checks. One guy was on Instagram flexing his watch, truck, boat, etc. while living at home and collecting.

·
Registered
847 Posts
First one, hellooo Cane Creek EWings! Second one, heya GRX secondary brake levers and carbon drop bars!
Cmon, where’s that third one, got some Sidi’s, GRX brifters for crash replacement and helmet on back burner! Helmet unfortunately seems to have a supply issue.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I got my 2021 SC Tallboy back in October so no new bike BUT, this week, my wife suggested we head to NorCal after we get our second vaccination. The check will pay for the trip in April and include riding with a buddy who lives in Marin County.

So there you have it. The check will pay for bike related stuff as it should.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.