Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to locate any Sunino SSIII rings (middle is all I really need) or an entire set. Airbomb is out. Can anyone recommend any other rings to use. 5 arm compact 32T. I know of the extralite, but that just seems way too expensive for me right now.
If there are no others I may be "forced" into an Extralite ring.

KMan

·
Candlestick Maker
3,631 Posts
KMan said:
I have been unable to locate any Sunino SSIII rings (middle is all I really need) or an entire set. Airbomb is out. Can anyone recommend any other rings to use. 5 arm compact 32T. I know of the extralite, but that just seems way too expensive for me right now.

KMan
I've been eyeing the Cycle Dynamics titanium rings. I have no experience with them but they are fairly light (~5g lighter than an XT middle ring) and economical ($30+shipping at Cove).

http://www.coveproductions.com/coolstuff/crings_tech.html
http://www.coveproductions.com/store/index.html
http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/cycle_d...rings/cycle_cynamics_titanium_chainrings.html

baker

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
KMan said:

KMan
I threw a Vuelta 30t onto my HT. I'm using a 20t granny, so it kinda bridges the gap a little better than a 32t. Fairly cheap on the net and weighs 29 grams (my Sugino 32t weighs 35 grams). Its not ramped or pinned, so shifting isn't quite as smooth as the Sugino, but its not too bad. Vuelta also makes a 32t if you prefer.

Speciialties TA recieved some pretty good reviews, I just don't know where to get them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
I threw a Vuelta 30t onto my HT. I'm using a 20t granny, so it kinda bridges the gap a little better than a 32t. Fairly cheap on the net and weighs 29 grams (my Sugino 32t weighs 35 grams). Its not ramped or pinned, so shifting isn't quite as smooth as the Sugino, but its not too bad. Vuelta also makes a 32t if you prefer.

Speciialties TA recieved some pretty good reviews, I just don't know where to get them.
After reading up on your budget build I'm trying to locate myself a set of Vuelta rings. I heard that they are made from 20t-54t in 2 t increments for sizes so I'd want to get 30t and 40t. Seems like a sweet deal if I can find some like you did.

Another option is these rings Cambria stocks, I think they are called US made or something which should be like Vuelta rings, aluminium with no ramps and pins and should be reasonably lightweight. I believe they have them on special now for $10 each.

As for Specialites TA, I wanted to get a pair ages ago but found every place I asked that they are exhorbitantly expensive, like $30-$40 per ring, so I decided to forget them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
KMan said:

KMan
Bad (or good) news is that you can't use Extralite rings as those are 64/104 4 arm and you're after 58/94 5 arm.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Boj said:
After reading up on your budget build I'm trying to locate myself a set of Vuelta rings. I heard that they are made from 20t-54t in 2 t increments for sizes so I'd want to get 30t and 40t. Seems like a sweet deal if I can find some like you did.

Another option is these rings Cambria stocks, I think they are called US made or something which should be like Vuelta rings, aluminium with no ramps and pins and should be reasonably lightweight. I believe they have them on special now for $10 each.

As for Specialites TA, I wanted to get a pair ages ago but found every place I asked that they are exhorbitantly expensive, like $30-$40 per ring, so I decided to forget them.
The Duckman uses the US Made on one of his bikes.

I have an LBS that stocks Vuelta rings. I need to check to see if they can order a 30t and 40t . They already stock 20t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.