Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have spent the last month in every local bike shop and on Craigslist looking for a new bike.Originally I was going to pay $1000 for a new bike, but now have decided to pay a little more. I posted a few threads here. I recently tested a Specialized Safire Expert in the parking lot and liked it. Way more bike than I imagined I could afford. However, a 2007 Epic Womens with excellent specs and little use just surfaced on Craigslist for $1900 (thinking of offering $1600). Should I go for it? I am nervous about handing over that much money in a private transaction.

Thanks in advance!

Robin

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
IMO $1900 is steep for a 2yr old bike that retailed at $2400. I sold an 07 bike of similar retail value in Boulder (large biking population) for $1150 and the bike was immaculate (that was after trying to sell it for 2 months at $1700).

Looks like the 07's and even 08's are fetching bids of $900-$1500 on ebay with the highend of course being occupied by the 08's.

If it's in good condition and you like it I'd offer her $1100 or $1200. I'd want to know what's been done as far as shock and bearing maintenance on a two year old bike as well especially since it's Specialized and the proprietary shocks can be an expensive pain in the rear I've heard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.