Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tricks of the trade in exiting with clipless pedals?
I have Crank Brothers Smartys and know how to get out of them, but I just seem to not be able to in time.
Mostly happens when climbing steep climbs over stumps.

I'm usually not moving fast, but F me, I'm sick of tipping over on my dang left side and hip.

I've found it easier to unclip when the foot is all the way at the bottom of the cycle, but that is not always possible.

Any other helpful ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can't think of any specific advice. Just keep practicing, and your body will learn the motion. I notice when I start to tip past the point-of-no-return, my heel moves out instantly to unclip.
It's not always as fast as I'd like, but you can't win'em all. I think it's more a reaction-speed issue, and not a pedal issue for me. I'd land on my hip the same amount if I were on flats.

One thing you could try is swapping the cleats to the 15* float setting. The 20* setting requires slightly more foot movement to release the cleat, so if you go with the 15*, you may get out a little quicker.

·
DNINIT
84 Posts
I ride with the look quartz pedals which actually are the same concept as the CB smartys. I put a little lube every now and then on the pedals. These were the first set of clipless I have used and I have had 0 problems getting out quick when need be.

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Make sure there is no tread touching the pedals. If there is cut it off. Can make the pedals hard to unclip from in a hurry. Lube also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Make sure your motion is down and out not up and out. Pulling up makes it much harder to unclip and the normal reaction is to raise the foot instead of dropping it. The tip to check your shoe clearance is a good one, too.

Smokey

·
Registered
49 Posts
MrMook said:
One thing you could try is swapping the cleats to the 15* float setting. The 20* setting requires slightly more foot movement to release the cleat, so if you go with the 15*, you may get out a little quicker.
I second that. I had no clue the cleats were set up like that and and those 5 degrees did help.

From personal experience with the smarties I can say they were more of a pain to deal with than my eggbeater SL's even after swapping cleat position my left foot always felt like a struggle to get out. After 200-250 miles the outer bearings blew out making it even more fun (dangerous) to unclip while I waited to get the eggbeaters.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It might help you get the correct motion if you stand over your bike, clip in with just your left foot, and then clip out (with the crank arm up).

One thing that really helped me was to practice in the yard. I'd clip in, pedal 10ft, do a track stand and then unclip before falling over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too had problems w/ clipping out on slow up hill climbs.

If you have access to a trainer that may help. When I first started w/ clipless, I put my bike on the trainer and practiced unclipping in all positions of the pedal cycle. I practiced w/ both feet too, not just my usual one that I clip out on.

Good luck.

If I can ride w/clipless and feel secure, anyone can!

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Make sure the plastic cleat spacer is installed on the shoe. Not using it will make unclipping nearly impossible......especially with new pedals and shoes. Also, try swapping the mounting holes, on the shoes. Most SPD shoes come with two rows of mounting points. Try using the second row.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. I will definitely lube it up. Can you see if you have cleats with 15 degrees of float vs 20? Gracias.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
Thanks all. I will definitely lube it up. Can you see if you have cleats with 15 degrees of float vs 20? Gracias.
If the cleat with the two circles is on your right shoe you are at 15 degrees and if it is on the left shoe you are at 20 degrees. I would check that and see how it is set up. I have the mallet 1's on my bike and was hesitant to get them at first because I had seen a lot of posts about people having trouble unclipping from the crankbrothers eggbeater setup but it has been a breeze. Anyhow, maybe that will help.

·
ride the moment
1,060 Posts
I was having some issues with my eggbeaters until I "modified" the tread on my shoes. I think the lugs were hitting the wiry clip part and holding it shut. Also, think the crank bros are a little more sensitive to the motion than the one pair of spds I've had. The spds took more force, but with the crank bros you really have to keep the ball of your for flat and rotate, like smashing out a cigarette.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ive been in clipless for a while now but im seriously considering going back to platforms, theyre just more fun for me especially on all mountain trails, i get no benefits from clipless at all, good for road race bikes but for me they havent worked out in the way that others sing their praises

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found it easier to get out when I installed the spacer. Without the spacer, the treads were rubbing too much, making it harder to get out. With the spacer, it was much easier. Shaving the tread, like mentioned above, would achieve a similar result. (This was with a set of Acid 1)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have Egg Beater C's and it is so ridiculously easy to clip out. It takes about half a second. If you are still having problems there is something wrong with your pedals or shoes, not your technique (it's not rocket science). The Smarty pedals suck according to all the reviews I've read (by suck I mean hard to clip out of). Install the shims or file your tread down or buy new pedals!!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't find the circles on either cleat. Does anyone have a picture of what I'm supposed to be looking for? Thank you all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.