Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Manitou

Hey,

The Nixon Super Intrinsic is turning heads and I dream about them every night. Live my fantasy and get one.

JCH

·
603 Posts
Nomad forks

stephanmol said:
What do you think I should go with between nixon and rock shox 452 u turn or fox vanilla but to $$$$$$$$$$
I just got my Nomad frame (ano bk w/ DHX air) last night!! Wow is all I can say! I can't wait to get it all built up.
I have been going through the same process, what fork and why. Between the 3 you mentioned I was leaning twards the PIKE, but I bet the VAN is sick. I'm planning on going a different route with the DUC 32, as I intend to build a all day mid / light weight AM bike.

Good luck with your Nomad, lets see some pics & a ride report when you get her all set up!

- Porch -

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I don't really like the idea of getting a Nomad and then installing a sub-6", 32mm fork. Sure you can fit it on on there, and it will function just fine concerning geomety and all, but why have a 6.5" bike only to have a smaller stanchioned, sub-6" fork? I'd be more tempted to have a Blur LT if that were the case. I'd at least go with a full 6" 32mm fork. We're talking opinions here, so my vote would go with one of the Fox 36 models or a Marz 66 series. These are burlier forks that don't have a gigantic weight penalty. I have a Van 36 on my Bullit now which will go on my Nomad when it arrives. My Bullit also has 6.5" of rear travel, like the Nomad, and the 6.3" Van 36 is a nice balance...along with being super stout with 36mm stanchions. I think I'd also be just as happy with one of the Marz 66 forks.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
I have a 36RC2 Talas on my Nomad... only done 2 short rides, but so far so good. It is plush but at the same time stiff... and light .

I have a z1fr1 2005 on my Chameleon and it feels good, but isnt as stiff as the 36.

On my other Chameleon I have a Pike Team, its cheap and performs ok but I feel the Fox and Marz are just better quality..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fox Talas 36RC2 on my nomad has been great!

I can pretty much ride anything--up or down--with the fork in 6" mode, but today I tried lowering it for extended climbing and it made the bike feel much more comfortable. I was going forego using the talas feature on the nomad but today I have changed my mind: it is very useful.

It doesn't have to be a Fox fork, I have used Marzocchi forks with the ETA feature and liked it just as much.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
To be honest though, my Fox 36 RC2 Talas only seems to get 145mm travel and not a huge deal, but its brown,,,,, why not black? Still liking this fork so far ;)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The most uncomfortable bikes I have ridden always tend to be bikes with way more travel in the rear than in the front. You may be thinking arggo XC but the bikes goemetry is designed for forks of a certain height with a certain minimum of travel. Personally I would not duck below 150mm for a nomad. My personal choice would either be a Fox36 van, Marz Z1 or 66SL.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Brown Fox 36 = 2005 model....?

rogue said:
To be honest though, my Fox 36 RC2 Talas only seems to get 145mm travel and not a huge deal, but its brown,,,,, why not black? Still liking this fork so far ;)
I thought that last year's models were brown and the '06 versions were black. Don't quote me on that, but thats what I heard from somewhere, either up here or in some wrag.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
stephanmol said:
thanxs allot i think I will go with the fox
Can someone explain the Fox forks to me? I spent several days on their web site, even e-mailed their techies and still don't understand what's what. Come to think of it none of the fork makers do a very good job explaining which forks would work best on a certain style of bike and riding. But Fox seems to be the most confusing to me.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Pike is alright...Grinch!

TNC said:
I don't really like the idea of getting a Nomad and then installing a sub-6", 32mm fork. Sure you can fit it on on there, and it will function just fine concerning geomety and all, but why have a 6.5" bike only to have a smaller stanchioned, sub-6" fork? I'd be more tempted to have a Blur LT if that were the case. I'd at least go with a full 6" 32mm fork. We're talking opinions here, so my vote would go with one of the Fox 36 models or a Marz 66 series. These are burlier forks that don't have a gigantic weight penalty. I have a Van 36 on my Bullit now which will go on my Nomad when it arrives. My Bullit also has 6.5" of rear travel, like the Nomad, and the 6.3" Van 36 is a nice balance...along with being super stout with 36mm stanchions. I think I'd also be just as happy with one of the Marz 66 forks.
The Pike can actually handle a lot of abuse, despite the 32mm stanchions. A lot of riders are going big on the Pike and it is on a lot of 4X and hd trail/light freeride bikes these days. With the Stiff spring, the Pike can be hucked. Considering the Fox 36 shady track record these days, the Pike is a better choice imo. The 36 gets less than the claimed 6" of travel along with a host of other reported problems that many riders have experienced. The van 36 looks sweet and the lack of adjustability does not seem to bother many owners. How do you like it for climbing on your Bullit?

I used to run a 6" Sherman in 5" mode on my 7" Joker and it didn't feel unbalanced. I am not sure how the geometry on the 6.5" Nomad will play out with a sub 6" fork like the Pike.

Have fun on the Nomad. :cool:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Big Jim Mac said:
Can someone explain the Fox forks to me? I spent several days on their web site, even e-mailed their techies and still don't understand what's what. Come to think of it none of the fork makers do a very good job explaining which forks would work best on a certain style of bike and riding. But Fox seems to be the most confusing to me.
Um, fox's website lets you navagate the forks by usage. On the right side of the screen on top of the thumbnails of all the forks. More techie types will also be wise to certain dimensions like travel and axel-to-crown height. Often, frame manufacturer's will make plain the ideal fork height and travel for their particular frames.

For Fox, it pretty much breaks down like this.

FRLT/FX/Float = dainty XC fork for the roadie at heart. mountain goat sort of thing
Talas = All mountain air fork, w/ travel adjust, still leaning towards XC
Vanilla = All Mountain, good old "coil-and-oil", no travel adjustment, no lock out.
36 talas = All Mountain/ light FR travel adjust, air fork
36 van = FR "coil-and-oil" strong stiff reliable
40 = DH/FR

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Grinch????

ronny said:
The Pike can actually handle a lot of abuse, despite the 32mm stanchions. A lot of riders are going big on the Pike and it is on a lot of 4X and hd trail/light freeride bikes these days. With the Stiff spring, the Pike can be hucked. Considering the Fox 36 shady track record these days, the Pike is a better choice imo. The 36 gets less than the claimed 6" of travel along with a host of other reported problems that many riders have experienced. The van 36 looks sweet and the lack of adjustability does not seem to bother many owners. How do you like it for climbing on your Bullit?

I used to run a 6" Sherman in 5" mode on my 7" Joker and it didn't feel unbalanced. I am not sure how the geometry on the 6.5" Nomad will play out with a sub 6" fork like the Pike.

Have fun on the Nomad. :cool:
Well, Merry "X!#*!X*^" Christmas to You!...or should that be "Happy Holidays" you liberal...LOL! :D

Nah, like I said, the bike would probably work just fine with a sub-6" fork, but I guess I feel one should go for the gusto when you have a bike like the Nomad...which I don't...yet. :mad: Also I base some of this on the fact that my Bullits have 6.5" of rear travel like the Nomad, and 6" forks really seem right on them. The Van 36 didn't change my climbing any. I've used longer forks with no problem also. Yeah, I'm one of those who could care less about travel adjust.

And seriously...Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ronny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts